Ticks

Guest greyers

Guest greyers

I have always used frontline to control fleas and the occasional ticks my pups meet up with in the mountains, but the last year or two the fleas have been so bad that frontline isn't cutting it. Last year we ended up doing one month advantage and then the next month frontline and alternated for many months. A few weeks ago we put all the dogs and cats on Advantage II, unfortunately even this newer version of advantage doesn't control or kills ticks. The flea problem is GONE and my cats especially are finally not twitchy for the first time in months. This was the best working formula for us and I am thrilled! But today I found a tick on Prudence. :angry:

I would prefer to keep them on the Advantage II right now, but wanted to know if there is anything that can be used in combination with it that is greyhound safe?

You could use the Preventic collar, I suppose. Not sure if that's too much pesticide along with the Advantage. I'm sure someone else who has used this combination can comment on that.

Alternatively, you can switch to K9 Advantix. It does fleas AND ticks. I started using it this year and so far, so good. OSU uses it, too, and if it's safe enough for them, it's safe enough for me. It's greasier than Advantage, is all. But after a few days, it does go away.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest greyers

I read online (petmeds.com), that you can use the preventic collar WITH advantage II if you need tick control. But I am not sure if the color is OK for greyhounds?

Is K-9 Advantix safe for Greys and can you use it in houses with cats? I had thought it was unsafe but I am probably misinformed about that.

I know others here have used Preventic collars on greys with no problems. And K9 Advantix is fine to use on greys and in homes with cats. If your cats groom your dog, you'll want to keep them separated until the product dries. It is toxic to cats if you actually put it on the cat, or if the cat ingests it.

Depending on the dog's coat, you'll sometimes be left with a greasy spot where the topical products are applied that lasts for several days. I'll often wipe this off later the same day by using a damp paper towel. I just wipe with the grain of the hair so I'm just removing what's on top of the hair and won't get down to the skin anyway. My cats don't groom my dogs, but I do this because I don't like them getting greasy spots on their beds and the furniture.

Here's another recent thread with more info about tick control.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

You could use the Preventic collar, I suppose. Not sure if that's too much pesticide along with the Advantage. I'm sure someone else who has used this combination can comment on that.

Alternatively, you can switch to K9 Advantix. It does fleas AND ticks. I started using it this year and so far, so good. OSU uses it, too, and if it's safe enough for them, it's safe enough for me. It's greasier than Advantage, is all. But after a few days, it does go away.

Not if she has cats.

My vet won't even write me a prescription.

I know others here have used Preventic collars on greys with no problems. And K9 Advantix is fine to use on greys and in homes with cats.

Really?? My vet won't write me a script for it at all! My cat IS all over my dog though...not worth the risk to me. But thanks for the information.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greyers

:blink: I am even more confused now!! I read all the posts on the other thread and now Georges info about the vet no giving the rx for either the Advantix or the preventick collar and I'm still not sure what to do. But I must do something soon! Found tick number 2 on Pru today! That 2 in 3 days up here in the mountains. But frontline doesn't cut these fleas right now.

My cats and dogs don't interact, but the cats occasionally do lay in the dog beds. So here is a thought....

Most weekends we go up to our 5th wheel in the mountains. This is where I think Pru must be getting the ticks from. What if we waited to put the Advantix on her and our new adoptee (fingers crossed), until we got to the mountains Friday night. Then they wouldn't have any fresh Advantix in the house with the cats and we stay up here usually at least 48 hours. That would give time for the product to not be greasy and rub off on the dog bedding at home.

I'm out of ideas....

Dunno if you could give Comfortis (oral) and Frontline (topical) both. Dunno why you couldn't.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What if we waited to put the Advantix on her and our new adoptee (fingers crossed), until we got to the mountains Friday night. Then they wouldn't have any fresh Advantix in the house with the cats and we stay up here usually at least 48 hours. That would give time for the product to not be greasy and rub off on the dog bedding at home.

Sounds like a good idea to me. If there's any greasy spot left on the dog after 48 hours, you can also wipe it off with a wet paper towel to reduce the risk even further. Even if a little bit rubs off on the dog bedding, it is very unlikely that will cause enough secondary transfer to the cats, just from them lying on the beds, to cause any problems. Maybe if the cat sucked on the greasy spot on the bed... For those of you with cats who are all over the dogs and constantly grooming them, it's probably better to be safe and avoid these products if you have alternatives that work as well. But if you need the tick protection, having cats doesn't automatically mean you can't use either Advantix or Preventic collars.

This is the label warning on K9 Advantix regarding cats:

"DO NOT USE ON CATS

Due to their unique physiology and inability to metabolize certain compounds, this product must not be used on cats. If applied to a cat, or ingested by a cat which actively grooms a recently treated dog, this product may have serious harmful effects. If this occurs contact your veterinarian immediately."

The label on the Preventic collar simply says, "Do not use on cats."

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg