Tender Feet?

Guest driser

Our boy hates cobbled sidewalks and struggles on trails that vary from sand to rocky dirt. On sand he picks right up. When we get to cobble or rocky areas he nearly comes to a halt. Do Greyhounds have tender feet? Would booties help? He's only been off the track for 5 months so his nail quicks haven't receded much yet and we can only trim his nails a little bit each week. Is it a nails issue or an overall tender feet issue??

Welcome input from anyone else with tender footed Greyhounds!

Greyhounds spend their entire lives on sand. They're not used to walking on sidewalks or cement or anything that would tend to be rocky. They race on sand, their turn out pen is sand and they even train on sand and are on sand at the farm so they do tend to have very tender feet.

They will toughen up with time. Take it slow though or you could end up with a pad injury that takes forever to heal.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jbbuzby

It depends where you live to some extent I think, but my grey's feet got tougher after just a month or so by walking regularly on sidewalk (at least 30 minutes a day). It could be tender feet, but it could also be wariness of a new surface. With puppies during their socialization period, it's helpful to have them walk on 20 different surfaces a week; but since our greys didn't really get to do that, they don't take to the change as fast. Try setting up a few different "obstacles" of surfaces and see if you have the same result. If he is hesitant, then it very well might just be the wariness factor, and you can try to persuade him with really tasty treats for even putting a paw on.

It could also be both, but for hiking, I'd definitely bring along some irresistible treats to encourage him along. Just stay upbeat and not pressure him too much, and keep on walking to see what he does.

You could also try pawz (the purple size probably) and see if that helps; it certainly can't hurt! I use these in the winter to save my dog's feet from the cold and harmful anti-freeze chemicals. They are fairly inexpensive. Just try to make sure his nails aren't too sharp, otherwise they can pierce through the end (though you can repair them with duct tape, and the pads are still protected). Good luck!

Guest Swifthounds

Greyhounds spend their entire lives on sand. They're not used to walking on sidewalks or cement or anything that would tend to be rocky. They race on sand, their turn out pen is sand and they even train on sand and are on sand at the farm so they do tend to have very tender feet.

They will toughen up with time. Take it slow though or you could end up with a pad injury that takes forever to heal.

:nod

If your hound is acclimated to a dremel, you can try that with the nails to move thongs along. The dremel allows you to get much closer to the quick without risking nicking it. Since I switched to the dremel, I can get nails in good shape much faster. Worth a try if you havent already.

Guest sweetpea

Yeah, Sweetpea's still a big weinie when it comes to that.

She prefers smooth pavement and grass, thankyouverymuch.

We walk on a path that is paved, on the section that has a patch of rougher lumpy asphalt, she'll step off

the path into the grass to avoid it. :rolleyes:

She hates gravel, of all sorts, you can almost see her starting to pout when I "force" her to walk across

anything that isn't rose-petals.

It's just a cute idiosyncrasy for me, there's no place we "have" to go that requires me to "fix" her.

Unless there's a medical issue (a corn, or busted off nail) I personally would not go the bootie route.

If the idea is to build up a tougher pad, a bootie won't help that.

Once you rule out physical pain as a reason for balking at the rougher surfaces, you might try treatsies

to encourage a better attitude on the trail.

Good luck!

Buzzy

Edited by sweetpea

Desi has been off the track since 2007 & you'd think his pads would be toughened up since we leash walk several times daily.

But you couldn't get him to walk on gravel with a hotdog appetizer. Sometimes he's even funny about grass, especially in late

summer when it's dry & prickly.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Desi has been off the track since 2007 & you'd think his pads would be toughened up since we leash walk several times daily.

But you couldn't get him to walk on gravel with a hotdog appetizer. Sometimes he's even funny about grass, especially in late

That's kind of cute!

My last dog was half pit and half mutt (Shepherd mix??) and he was by FAR a bigger sissy when it came to his paws than George. He would just stop if it was too cold, and hold up his paw, and one by one I had to rub them. :rolleyes:

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I never had a problem with surfaces. But Summer also didn't come with terribly long nails. How long ARE your pups nails? If they are crazy long, then walking on the hard surfaces would be uncomfortable and, I'm guessing, painful, possibly even frightening.

That's kind of cute!

My last dog was half pit and half mutt (Shepherd mix??) and he was by FAR a bigger sissy when it came to his paws than George. He would just stop if it was too cold, and hold up his paw, and one by one I had to rub them. :rolleyes:

Summer does that paw thing, same as your pit/mutt. Too cute!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance