Advice Needed!

Guest mountain4greys

Guest mountain4greys

I'd investigate what tbhounds suggests before considering removal. Removal of cartilage sounds very painful. Is she in any pain right now?

There is no pain, she's a happy girl. The thought of having an earless dog doesn't bother me at all, but what she would have to go through at 12 years old does. I don't know how much she could handle at this time in her life. She's a pretty old 12. The last time she had anesthesia, I really didn't think she was going to make it home. She went through it pretty rough compared to any of my other hounds.

Guest BiancasMom

Not sure what part of the ear the tumor is on, but I had to have a tumor removed from my Basset's ear. (I know, lots of ear to work with!). It was near the bottom of her floppy ear (Pinna) and it was a mast cell tumor. Even though it was only about 10mm, they wanted to get large margins so we had to take most of her ear. I ended up taking her to doctor who was comfortable with ear cropping of all things. I know it sounds terrible but they did the surgery quickly and her ear was as beautiful as it could be when they were done. It was a small cup-shape when they were done, no reconstruction needed. If you can get rid of this cancer by taking the ear, then I would do it. Oh, and my Basset was 10 years old. She lived another 2 years.

Edited by BiancasMom

Those types of tumor can be locally invasive but, rarely met. Your dog would be a great canidate for the 5FU chemo injections. Please contact Ohio State.

That was my thought.