Husband Stepped On Grey

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Guest greyhoundgirl1

My friend's husband got up and stepped on their grey,Storm, in the early morning. The grey does not want to put any weight on his front left leg. From what my friend observed , the injury seems to be Storm's shoulder. (She has felt the leg up and down and Storm seems to flinch only in the shoulder area) She was able to get him out to pee, but he was holding his head down and keeping his leg up. She has made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow. Can she give him anything in the mean time? (She would have posted this herself, but for some reason cannot get on to Greytalk)

Anything she would give him would mask the pain when the vet did an exam. Personally if it were my dog I'd tell the vet it was an emergency, the leg/shoulder could be broken. I'd want x-rays right away.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Advil is dangerous for dogs, I would not give it. In general, don't give dogs human medicine without checking with a vet, at least by phone.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

It's time for emergency vet. I really wouldn't wait.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

I would call the vet and exclaim that the dog is extremely uncomfortable and could they please squeeze you in today. Most clinics have timeslots what they call "save for sick" for just such emergencys. Keep us posted about his poor hound. Hugs to the husband too (not sure I would want to be in his place right now!).

Guest KennelMom

if the dog isn't normally a drama queen and they haven't walked it off in a few minutes or so, I'd be pestering my vet to get us in, with what you're describing. If it's a bad injury, anything you can give OTC probably won't make much difference anyway.

Not to mention, anything you give OTC might conflict with a pain med prescribed when you see a vet. Basic rule of thumb: if the dog is in so much pain I need to treat it with something at home, odds are they probably need to be at a vet.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Thanks for all your advice. My friend took her grey to the vet and it was a slipped disk! :o He is on some sort of opiate and the vet is hopping with rest over the next few weeks, Storm may be back to normal. Here's hopping he's right and no surgery is necessary.

Were x-rays taken? I find that a very odd diagnosis based on your post and the description of the accident.

Please suggest to your friend she get a book on basic home veterinary care. Those books generally tell you what OTC medications can be used in a pinch, and which ones to avoid. Heck, everyone should have one!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck