Bonding With A New Dog

Guest Hewlett

Guest Hewlett

I just adopted my second dog after my first grey recently died. I was very close to this dog and had him with me for 10 years. He was definitely "my" dog. My new dog seems to have bonded much more closely with my adult son who is currently living with me for just a few months before he starts a new job and gets married. Both he and his fiancee live with me and my new grey from the start was invited to sleep with them in their room. His bed is normally kept in our family room, but at night he goes upstairs with the two of them with his bed moved up there. He will go on walks with me,and I am working with him on obedience training, simple things, like sit/stay and that is going well. My question is when my son leaves in a couple of months, will my grey be completely lost without him around as much? He seems sad even when son is gone for the evening. As soon as my son enters the room my new grey immediately goes to him and follows him everywhere. Any thoughts on whether the bonding will switch over to me?

I'm very sorry about your loss of your first hound. Ten years is a long time to spend with a beloved Greyhound companion.

Yes, it may take some time, but your Greyhound boy should be able to transition his bonding over to you. In your case, if you are able to begin encouraging that transition towards you more now, I would encourage that. It's heart-warming to read that your son is a great Greyhound person, and your son may enjoy your hound shadowing him, but it may not be doing your hound as much good. As you know, Greyhounds are so sensitive and have had so many challenging transitions during their racing life before they even reach their forever homes. The loss of the people to whom they bond leave an imprint on their personality and behavior. Since you already know your son and his fiancé will be moving soon, I truly believe it would help your hound if you begin inviting your hound to sleep in your room now (instead of your son's room) to help lessen your hound's future mourning of the upcoming loss of your son and his fiancé. Your hound already considers them his "pack" so he will be losing 2/3 of his pack at one time.

A baby-gate can help prevent a hound from following his people when they move from room-to-room. I completely understand it's sweet and feels wonderful to have a hound follow your (son's) every move, but I believe it's much better for the hound to teach him more self-confidence and independence so he feels comfortable when he is left alone. It's very important for a new hound to relax and feel assured that he will be okay when his person/people are out of sight, and that they will eventually return to him.

A separate note... Our "male bonding" case:

One of our hounds was only interested in his human daddy (or any other men) from Day 1, even though I was his primary caretaker. He had been clearly more used to male trainers, etc. This independent and indifferent male Greyhound was not the least bit interested in relating with me, or any other women. It took him many months but eventually he did begin to trust and bond closely with me. He wasn't a kisser hound, so when he gave me a little kiss on the face after well over a year, I melted in delight that he finally truly bonded with me, a female! Yea! :wub: Now, years later, he is my best boy "heart hound." (Oh, and he gives me more affection than his dad now.)

Good luck with your new boy. He sounds like a sweetie!

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest SusanP

I second the notion that the dog should be sleeping with you and not your son. He has to consider the dog's well-being, and this is *your* dog and your son will soon be gone, so it would be best if he began backing off a little where the pup is concerned. I really believe that sleeping with your dog facilitates bonding, though it certainly isn't the only way to bond with a dog. In this case, he seems to be responding to it, though.

The other things you are doing sound great. Make sure you are doing the feeding and treats whenever possible, do things the dog especially enjoys, spend quiet time petting him and talking to him--make time for him, and bonding will come in time. Remember that you had years to bond with your beloved hound of 10 years. A newcomer needs time to form that bond. Your relationship with him will not be identical to your relationship to your other hound, because each dog is different. But it can be just as good in its own way.

My condolences on the loss of your sweet hound, but congratulations on your new hound.

Edited by SusanP

Guest TBSFlame

You didn't say how long you've had this dog but in my experience greys transition very well. Of course, it takes a bit longer than an 8 week old puppy, but most of them are fine, given time to adjust, at their own pace. I keep greyhounds and they all do just fine without their owners as long as they are fed and loved. The owners, do not do so well. :) All my greys get excited when they see a young adult male person. I think they associate it with the leads at the track.

I totally agree with Susan P.

My experience with George is that he's so used to different people coming and going in his life (trainers, kennel helpers, etc.) he would be happy with anyone who was kind to him and had treats!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Hewlett

I'm very sorry about your loss of your first hound. Ten years is a long time to spend with a beloved Greyhound companion.

Yes, it may take some time, but your Greyhound boy should be able to transition his bonding over to you. In your case, if you are able to begin encouraging that transition towards you more now, I would encourage that. It's heart-warming to read that your son is a great Greyhound person, and your son may enjoy your hound shadowing him, but it may not be doing your hound as much good. As you know, Greyhounds are so sensitive and have had so many challenging transitions during their racing life before they even reach their forever homes. The loss of the people to whom they bond leave an imprint on their personality and behavior. Since you already know your son and his fiancé will be moving soon, I truly believe it would help your hound if you begin inviting your hound to sleep in your room now (instead of your son's room) to help lessen your hound's future mourning of the upcoming loss of your son and his fiancé. Your hound already considers them his "pack" so he will be losing 2/3 of his pack at one time.

A baby-gate can help prevent a hound from following his people when they move from room-to-room. I completely understand it's sweet and feels wonderful to have a hound follow your (son's) every move, but I believe it's much better for the hound to teach him more self-confidence and independence so he feels comfortable when he is left alone. It's very important for a new hound to relax and feel assured that he will be okay when his person/people are out of sight, and that they will eventually return to him.

A separate note... Our "male bonding" case:

One of our hounds was only interested in his human daddy (or any other men) from Day 1, even though I was his primary caretaker. He had been clearly more used to male trainers, etc. This independent and indifferent male Greyhound was not the least bit interested in relating with me, or any other women. It took him many months but eventually he did begin to trust and bond closely with me. He wasn't a kisser hound, so when he gave me a little kiss on the face after well over a year, I melted in delight that he finally truly bonded with me, a female! Yea! :wub: Now, years later, he is my best boy "heart hound." (Oh, and he gives me more affection than his dad now.)

Good luck with your new boy. He sounds like a sweetie!

Oh, this is such a wonderful, sweet reply and very helpful. Thank you for understanding. I am going to have my son read this! Thanks again for the helpful response.

Guest snakes

My boy definitely liked men more when i first got him, he tended to attach to my Bf at the time more at first. Soon though he attached to me and now he is 100% a momma boy :) Of course I am sure the grooming, walks, treats, and food i gave him helped!

n_afelix was hand raised by a group of volunteers, orphaned at 5 days. the one volunteer was a high scool student who carried him around, in his sweatshirt pocket, slept with him and then some. his male teenage buddy most definately made an impression on felix. he absoutley LOVES young men more than you can imagine. he also has a really soft spot for young women! he gets his fill when i walk thru the local college daily but has a strong allegance to both my husband and me. stronger to my husband, but he is OUR pup and spreads his love around to every tom, dick and harry and jane(as well as us) and is always looking for his long lost companions- and i'm not kidding- he picks up people constantly. he also picks up men who have a similar build to my husbands(it's a riot listening to this dog yodell and howl as he sees a look-a-like walking down the street).

over time you will have your special bonds, when obedience training turns into pure pleasure, the bond between the two of you will grow, don't worry. just enjoy the love and give him time to blossom.

btw, when my daughter and her husband visit(rarely they live far, far away) felix is always trying to get into bed w/ them. they leave, he is then absoutley fine-and my SIN is felix's offical soccer coach, talk about having a bond! don't worry, they adjust to everything.

n_a

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest IndyHound

Beckett will be friends with anyone that has food. Though i call him my little traitor because he will always leave my side for my mom. She comes in and lets him out while im at work. I found out he loves her so much because she thought he looked too skinny and was feeding him without telling me.

Guest jbbuzby

I'd definitely take over being primary care-taker, and walk walk walk walk walk. Dogs bond with others by walking, so if you can incorporate a routine of walking and feeding, along with some happy treats for listening/being responsive, your new grey will come along in no time!