Pain Without Being Lame?

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

In the past couple of days I've noticed some out of the blue odd behavior in Desmond. He's been reluctant to come up stairs at times (instead staying at the bottom and whining) and he's also done his super high-pitched baby cry when lying down a couple of times. My first thought was that he maybe has a little arthritis in his hips. He's not lame at all when walking/running and still runs in the yard. I'm going to watch him closely and see how things go over the next couple of days. If it persists, I'll take him to our vet.

That said, does anyone have any similar experiences to share? Pain without lameness? Any ideas what this might be?

Guest happygrey

Perhaps he fell down the stairs and is now scared of them and in pain? :(

This was actually my first thought. So I asked my husband if he's had any trouble on the stairs over the last few days. Hub said no. He hasn't had any trouble on them when I've been here either. When we are not home they are babygated in our family room with no access to the stairs. So he can only go up or down them when we're here.

Plus he's a real velcro dog and follows me around wherever I go when I'm home. Which was why it was so odd that he wouldn't come up.

Weight shifts a bit differently when ascending or descending, so when he's in those positions (or in the process of lying down or getting up), it's not the same as a dog trotting across the yard when his balance is centered. My guess would be an issue in the neck or back which is exacerbated when his weight is shifted forwards or backwards. Hope you can get it figured out. :goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

This is exactly what Bootsy just went through. It turned out that it was muscular. He was crying and pacing and panting on Friday. By Monday when we went to the vet, he was totally fine. Good luck :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Fuzzy had that same pain going up stairs and laying down on his bed. The pain turned out to be in his shoulder/neck area. He had one acupuncture treatment and some tramadol and was good to go. Hope yours' is as simple.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It could be something in his neck or back. We had the same with one of our greys as she got older. Try to get him to bend his neck for you by holding a good treat in front of his nose and moving towards his side so he has to follow you with his head. If there is pain in his neck, he will be reluctant to go all they to one side or the other to follow the treat.

Good thoughts for Desmond! Mira did something similar, and she worked herself out of it in a couple days. Hopefully it's the same deal for Des.

Give that sweet boy a kiss for me, I miss him and Naughty so much!

Edited by zombrie

Guest happygrey

Thanks, everyone for the input. I'm hoping it's something simple that will resolve on his own. He just came up the stairs with me and had no problems or reluctance. :colgate I'm going to keep a close eye on him.