Seizure Question

kolarik1

Has anyone heard of a dog getting too hot then having a seizure? Zelda had a seizure a couple weeks ago because she was stressed, so I've kept her low stress since then.

She has always laid out in the sun and enjoyed being outside...today I ate my lunch outside and she laid for maybe 10 min. max in the sun, then went inside. I was scrubbing some spots off the wall (thanks to the dogs) when she went stiff legged past me heading to the dog door...I knew something was up so I grabbed ahold of her and tried to steady her...

My sweet little girl was trying to get outside before the seizure kicked in, I'm guessing so she wouldn't make a mess in the house? (she has never made a mess from a seizure, this is her 3rd one since last November that I know of)

So, do you guys think it was something similar to heat stroke or a seizure induced by her being warm. When it was completely over she came inside, laid down and was roasting...she would only lap a little water when I offered it to her. I waited a few minutes, then called her back to the dog room and turned on the tower fan and had her lay in front of it, which she gladly did.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I know they can seize when their body temperature gets too high but I wouldn't think 10 minutes in the sun would be long enough to raise her body temperature that much. It may just be a coincidence.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I know they can seize when their body temperature gets too high but I wouldn't think 10 minutes in the sun would be long enough to raise her body temperature that much. It may just be a coincidence.

That's what I thought...but she was absolutely roasting after the seizure when she was inside. Since it was only in the low 60s here today, even in the direct sun she shouldn't have gotten that hot...so I don't have a clue what caused this seizure.

yes, their temp does rise durning a seizure and their blood sugar drops a lot.

I had a seizure dog for 5 years and many seizures, he never ever had an accident during the event. Most seemed to come onto him from a sleep.

Edited by GreyWrangler

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

I don't know what made her automatically go for outside...that is her first seizure at the house that I know of...the other 2 were in public. I'm hoping they stop, but if I see another one I'll have to ask the vet for medicine as she went about 10 months between seizure 1 and 2...now it's only been 2 weeks between seizure 2 and 3.

I was honestly scared that she was going to fall off the deck, so I just held her...but she did thump her jaw on the deck before I caught her (I had let her go thinking she was done, but she started again almost instantly)...so she had a little blood in her mouth from that, but nothing to worry about.

Edited by kolarik1

Phaelin will seize if he gets too hot, but that usually happens if I walk him and it's over 68-70 degrees. We don't spend a lot of time outside on our patio because we live on the back of a freeway and it gets noisy outside. I also try not to leave him in the sun for any length of time because I don't want to tempt fate and he's so light skinned I don't want him to get skin cancer (which I'm worried he might already have). Ever since he started having seizures, he does seem to get hot more easily and quickly. Of course, every dog is different and every dog can have a different seizure trigger (or none at all that you can find :( ). I wouldn't rule out that this seizure was caused by the temperature, but I would keep a log and put whatever details you noticed about today's seizure in it (time, temperature, Zelda's activity level, etc). It may be helpful if Zelda has any more seizures.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

If it is two weeks between the last seizure and this current one then you should go to a neurologist. Don't use your regular vet as they are not usually up-to-date on all the available medicines/treatments and the current practices. You also want to start keeping track of when the seizures occur (time and date) and what they were doing at the time.

FedX has seizures when his anxiety increases. i imagine getting too hot could increase stress and therefor bring on a seizue. Fedx's temp never went up with his seizures. He always rushed to get inside if we were out with a seizure and at home he would get to a carpet or dog bed.

Maybe one of those cooling neck bands would help?

Thanks all...I will start keeping a log if she has any more...so far, only 3 seizures total. I'm just keeping her quiet and cool...although she runs around like a madwoman with toys when she's happy that I'm home...just like the boys do and like she's always done.