Older Greys With Stairs

Guest lotsogreysmom

Guest lotsogreysmom

Ok.....we have 3 older greys....we just built a new home and moved in yesterday.....we haven't brought the girls here yet..they are staying at the apartment where we were and we are going over 4-5 times a day to walk them, feed and just spend time with them. Anyway, tomorrow we plan to bring them "home" and for potty walks they will be going out the walkup basement door (we had the walkup put in just for them instead of bilco doors). So, the walkup is steeper than we thought it would be and we are concerned bout them going up/down with them being older. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to introduce them and teach them how to do the steps without any injury or falls to set them back and scare them from going up/down???? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! We wanna make this as smooth of a transition as possible for them!

Are those stairs carpeted or do they have any non-slip tread? That would help a lot. :) Greys tend to bolt up stairs and be fearful of going down. I keep a leash on, use lots of encouragement, bright cheerful voice, and yummy treats as rewards can be helpful. B)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Yes, they're better if they're non slip stairs and better too if the area isn't too wide so that they go at an angle and sway from the rear end - this can result in a dangerous 'jack-knife' fall.

I got my dog used to a steep car ramp - needed as we park on quite a slope - by putting a carpet runner along it the first few times. Then she got used to the normal 'sandpaper' non-slip of the ramp itself.

One of my Borzois never really got to understand stairs properly and would go up in 3 massive scary bounds, yet would come down just fine.

When our Great Dane got very old it was necessary to come down the stairs holding her collar and keeping her to one side so the back end didn't sway.

I assume there are other doors to the outside that might be less steep? If the stairs are so steep you're concerned, I have no advice.

The stairs to the second floor at my mother's house were so steep (200 year old house--very narrow, very steep stairs) George has never even TRIED to go up them. And he can do stairs. He just can't do THOSE stairs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck