Weakness In Hind Quarters

Guest mldsmith

Guest mldsmith

Hi,

New to the forums (have done some research on here, but never posted)

Quick background: Pearson is a 3 year, 3 month old retired racer (retired due to broken hock, though records don't indicate which one and it is not evident to us or our vet). We've spend the last 20 or so days dealing with a small puncture wound/suspected corn that cause a severe limp on his front left pad, and occasional "tripod" walking. We get some therapaws on Tuesday, and yesterday (Wednesday) he was walking almost normally!

Yesterday, we went to the vet again for another examination of his front pad, and put him on a course of Novo Lexin antibiotic in order to prevent against any infection he may have. We have also discontinued his painkillers (tramadol) since he does not seem to have any pain while moving. Last night, after the first dose of Novo Lexin, he was very lethargic, and really resisted getting up from his bed to go for a quick bio-break before bed (we had to bait him with treats to get him up). This morning, he would not get up, even when treats were placed a few feet from his head, he wouldn't get up for them. I had to actually grab his food bowl and walk to where we keep his food before he got up...

Normally, he is the consummate velcro-dog and follows everywhere (even when he was on three legs with his sore front pad), but the last 18 hours or so he has barely moved after lying down.

Finally, today when I came home for his mid-day walk, he refused to move from our bed. I tried picking him up, but he would slouch down again. Finally, I was literally scooping food into his bowl (he eats in the am and pm, not at noon) before he got down, and then he went into a "down" position as soon as we got out of the door and seemed really unsteady for the first few minutes of the walk. He seemed to get better about 1 block in...

He's lying down right now, not moving for anything, and I'm quite concerned because this seems to have presented so quickly...

Have any of you seen this type of behavior in a young (just turned 3) greyhound?

Thanks,

Michael

I agree, he needs to see a vet asap if these signs continue. Could be a reaction to the antibiotic, or it could be something totally unrelated. Although I've never seen it in dogs, cephalexin can apparently cause dizzyiness and tiredness/weakness in people. I would not give him any more doses of the antibiotic.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest mldsmith

Thanks for your feedback. Called the vet, he said to skip the next dose, and see if anything changes. I'll be bringing him in tomorrow either way - to get new antibiotics if the weakness goes away, or for further examination if it doesn't.

I've read about LS and was concerned that some of these symptoms may indicate this...does it ever present in dogs this young?

Thanks for your feedback. Called the vet, he said to skip the next dose, and see if anything changes. I'll be bringing him in tomorrow either way - to get new antibiotics if the weakness goes away, or for further examination if it doesn't.

I've read about LS and was concerned that some of these symptoms may indicate this...does it ever present in dogs this young?

Keep an eye on him tonight, and be prepared to take him to the ER. I'm not going to link to the scary thread about my Jacey, but extreme lethargy is NOT normal and NOT something to ignore. We (her vet and I) thought Jacey was having a bad reaction--mild diarrhea and vomiting accompanied by extreme lethargy and reluctance to get off her bed, even for food--because of the Cephalexin. When we got her to the vet the next morning, her bloodwork was horrendous, and Jacey did not survive.

ETA: If it were me, I'd be taking your boy to the ER right now. Seriously. Your description scares the bejeebers out of me.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

LS isn't usually diagnosed in dogs this young. Not that it couldn't happen but I've never heard of a pup this young with it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Michael, how's Pearson this morning?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest KennelMom

LS isn't usually diagnosed in dogs this young. Not that it couldn't happen but I've never heard of a pup this young with it.

...or that rapid of an onset.

Hopefully all is well, but I would have had the dog at the vet ASAP with symptoms like that, regardless of the age of the dog.

Guest mldsmith

He is doing much better today, since discontinuing the antibiotics. Still a little slower to rise, but his reaction times are much better, and the "wobbliness" he showed yesterday seems to be gone. We are getting him into the vet today for another checkup, and to get an alternative antibiotic. Any recommendations I can come armed with as an alternative to Cephalexin, given that he had a bad reaction to that one?

Thankfully, my fiancee is home all day today to keep a close eye on him and take him the vet, so if anything changes suddenly we'll have no issues getting him looked after.

Glad to see he's doing so much better. There are so many antibiotics out there that can be used as an alternative. I'm sure your vet will come up with something a little easier on your boys system.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mldsmith

Thought I'd post a quick update: we got our guy to the vet yesterday, and all his vitals looked good (and he's gained a pound, back up above racing weight!) so the vet didn't take blood. We've taken him off the antibiotics, going with a topical antiseptic instead, since the vet didnt see any signs of internal infection (just a little inflammation on his paw). His energy continues to return, and his spirits are higher, too - looks like it was just a reaction to the cephalexin!

Thank you for all your advice and kind words!

Edited by mldsmith

I have to say, your vet sounds unreasonably casual.

Glad it seems to have worked itself out, but to not see a dog that sounded very ill is odd, and to not take some bloodwork just to make SURE it wasn't anything more seems odd.

By the way, the term "bio break" cracked me up!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck