Ate Half A Pkg Of Sno Caps

Fritz swiped half of a package of Sno Caps off of the kitchen counter when I was changing out some laundry, and he ate them. They're made of semi sweet chocolate, not milk chocolate. Do I need to worry?

I gave him some hydrogen peroxide (and I know I've given him enough), but he hasn't thrown up (I'm wondering if the peroxide is any good, it didn't really bubble like it usually does when I used some the other day).

My gut tells me he'll be fine, we might see some runny poop and some gas though :unsure

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

He'll be fine. It takes A LOT of good quality chocolate to do harm. I'd be more concerned about things like bones & raisins.

Yes, Bootsy has eaten all of the above.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

But, Bootsy is made of diamonds! :lol

Fritz is resting in bed right now...I have a newspaper here on the nightstand in case he gets up to puke and I can't get him to the tile floor or outside in time.

Thanks for validating my gut feeling, Christie :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Yep, he'll be just fine. Fenway, while not made of diamonds, has eaten some crazy things in his time. Last I checked, he was still doing okay. ;)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Oh ... Fritz should be fine ... as you say, possibly the smallest amount of diarrhea.

If you'd like to check, I highly recommend the following interactive website on affects of various chocolates on dogs that some kind soul here introduced me to awhile back (my Riley really likes sweets and chocolate in particular. I will not be disclosing my vet bills associated with pumping the stomachs of 2 greys that found their way into chocolate covered cocoa beans, but know that chocolate is not purchased for storage in my house any longer. ever.):

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive.html

May I suggest that you pick up a new bottle of peroxide when things settle down ... fresh is always better for tummy issues (AND for de-skunking). You could also consider having some charcoal capsules on-hand to give after the peroxide does its stuff if you think this might happen again ... 3 tablets for a medium sized grey are what I give to absorb any residual toxins. Per animal poison control, you can give it with some bread as well.

keep us informed on how Fritz does in the morning, ok?

He JUST threw up, twice. I'm sure this was more a function of the chocolate itself rather than the peroxide. I can tell that he feels bad that he threw up on the bed (I didn't catch him with the newspaper in time), but, it's already cleaned up, no harm no foul.

There won't be anything like that in my house anymore. The candy was in my work backpack and I had set it on the counter to throw it out when I squished the kitchen trash down to make room. Aside from the fact that it's pretty old, I'm making dietary changes that do not include candy.

I'm betting Fritz will still eat a biscuit at least, if he's not into breakfast. :)

Guest Swifthounds

No real danger from that amount of chocolate, but if a tablespoon or so of the peroxide didn't induce near immediate vomit, I would toss it and replace just in case you actually need it.

A few years back, my boy J.J. (now at the Bridge - not from chocolate!) ate thirteen chocolate cupcakes without frosting. Called the vet. Office was closed so I got the answering service. They had him call me. After he stopped laughing, he asked how much J.J.weighed. 77 pounds. He'll be fine. Did they have the foil wrappers? No, just the paper ones. His poop will probably look weird but he'll be fine. He was. Sigh. That will make me not trust someone to watch the dogs while I take a shower!!

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal