Licking Metal?

I've been noticing that recently my girl has been licking a lot of metal objects. Some of her favorites are the floor vents, any jewelry I might be wearing and the tags on her collar. Does anyone else have a hound that does this? I am hoping that it isn't representative of some sort of deficiency in her diet. She seems to be doing very well on her grain-free lamb and rice food, so I hate to switch just based on experimentation. The other thing is that she can be a bit OCD (toys in a certain order, pillow has to be facing the right direction, no wrinkles in the blanket, etc), so perhaps it's just another idiosyncrasy to add to her list. Sometimes it's so hard to tell with this girl... :)

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Don't know anything about the licking, but regarding the floor vents - make sure to prevent that her tags won't get caught in the vent opening. We've had postings on GT before about that happening.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest zombrie

My golden Caesar does this as well. And like your hound, he is very OCD about things so I just shrugged off his metal-licking.

Edited by zombrie

Don't know anything about the licking, but regarding the floor vents - make sure to prevent that her tags won't get caught in the vent opening. We've had postings on GT before about that happening.

No worries about that, she only wears her tag collar when we are outside, so there's no chance for her to get caught!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest greysmitten

Immediately when opening this thread, I thought "iron deficiency". I'm not vet ... just a mom :)

But if it came on suddenly, it's worth taking notice. Keep an eye on her health in the coming weeks ...

Guest FullMetalFrank

Chelsa is a metal licker :unsure goofy girl... She likes heater vents and this neat cast-iron pagoda statue I have on my hearth. Iberia was a metal licker, too, come to think of it.

Guest maidmarcia

Licorice loves licking his crate!! For some reason he'll lay there gnawing and licking the edge... I think it's just a quirky thing that he does once in a while :D