Kidney Damage And Anesthesia - What Do I Need To Know?

Fenway had an ultrasound back in April which revealed minor kidney damaged of an unspecified origin. His only symptom is his more frequent need to urinate in addition to a low USG (specific gravity) in urine samples. I just scheduled a dental cleaning for him on Tuesday. Other than an IV, is there anything else I should be aware of when putting a kidney dog under anesthesia?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Avoid dehydration (make sure they put him on some IV fluids), use kidney friendly drugs, avoid NSAIDs like metacam or make sure he's well hydrated wile taking his NSAIDs.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Yup , IV fluids and try to avoid NSAIDs if he has an extraction. As already mentioned if he needs an injection of metacam or rimadyl make sure he receives plenty of fluids.

Pre-op bloodwork should be done if for no other reason but to have a recent baseline.

Keep us posted as soon as he gets home!!

I ask for IV fluids to start early before the procedure & continue for a while afterwards to ensure good hydration. Just make sure they remember his problem & do not be shy about asking if things will effect his renal function.

My guy with renal insufficiency has anesthesia several times & came through without any obvious detriment to his kidneys. It is good to take precautions but try not to worry too much. If you've chosen the vet & facility well, giving them the needed info about your dog then all is likely to go quite well.

ETA: You will naturally be doing pre-procedure blood work but I might also ask for USG to be checked as well. Could be unnecessary but it wouldn't hurt to ask. (My vet is used to these things. :) )

Edited by kudzu

Fenway had his dental today and did just fine. Apparently he doesn't believe that he needed the post-op IV fluids because he pulled his line out twice and chewed through it once. He was confined to a smaller kennel and made to wear the Cone of Shame until the last of the fluids were in him. While I felt bad for the poor guy, I know it was for his own good.

He doesn't want to eat canned food yet, though did get a bit of my rotisserie chicken for dinner. You can tell he's feeling "off". Fingers crossed for my spunky little guy to be back to his mischievous self tomorrow.

Oh, and no extractions today so he's just on ABs for a few days. No NSAIDs to worry about. :)

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I confess I was already laughing even before getting to the "Cone of Shame". ("I do not like the Cone of Shame.") Sorry he didn't bounce back as fast as some but the anti-b's alone can knock out appetite for some dogs. Give him a few days. Hopefully he'll be up to no good by the weekend.

Well, he sang for my brother when he stopped by tonight so he's feeling better.

And my wonderful vet called to check on him today. That was unexpected and so reassuring. We :heart Dr. Joseph!