Going To The Bathroom In The House

Guest mainesue

Guest mainesue

Our greyhound, who we adopted a year ago, has suddenly started to refuse to go out into the dog yard to go to the bathroom, and is going in the house instead. We have cedar mulch down, which we have had since spring. Her refusal seems to correlate with the mulch getting wet - we are in the high desert and just had a couple of rainstorms after a very dry summer. I go out with her, and sometimes after a long wait, she will go. But not consistently. Yesterday I spent a long stretch in the evening - no go - then she peed and pooped in the house last night. The last two nights is the very firsttime she has pooped in the house.

My daughter suggested an herbal anxiety remedy...any thoughts?

The smell of cedar is much more intense when wet maybe. Can you leash-walk her away from the mulch until it dries out?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I would leash-walk -- in your own yard, if you like -- and periodically repeat a potty phrase (ours is the cumbersome, "Go use the bathroom"). Much praise and happy voice when she goes, and straight in the house if she likes.

If I have one who won't go when I'm pretty sure he/she should, I don't stay out indefinitely -- maybe 15-20 minutes, then back in (NOT letting dog out of my sight!) for 5-10 minutes; back out for 15-20, etc., until dog gets the idea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mainesue

The smell of cedar is much more intense when wet maybe. Can you leash-walk her away from the mulch until it dries out?

Good thought - I know it isn't more uncomfortable for her paws, unless she doesn't like the wet feel. Thanks.

I agree--it seems rather clear that she doesn't care for the wet cedar. I'd get rid of it. Until then, I'd walk her on a leash away from it. You don't want it to become habit, obviously, using the house as a toilet. Also, make sure you clean, clean, clean the areas where she has gone inside.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck