Raw Bum

Guest driser

Guest driser

Background: got our boy in June and have been battling diarrhea and hookworm since. Dosed him again with panacur this past week. Took him to vet Thurs because his bum was so red and bothersome. Vet expressed his glands and sent us home. We assumed he would improve. He has not. Bum is now SO red and SO raw it's driving him crazy. Is there anything we can put on it to soothe it??

We're a little nervous about getting stuck at home in Hurricane Irene without first doing something for his bum.

Sure he doesn't have fleas or infected anal gland?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest driser

Sure he doesn't have fleas or infected anal gland?

We were just at vet, I would hope she'd have informed us if it was infected. He is on Frontline and has SHORT white hair so it's been very easy to see critters on him. And fleas love me and I've not been bit.

Well, no fleas are good! Hoping the Desitin does the trick, then. If not then I would check back in with the vet. Hope he is better soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awww, poor little butt! Frontline doesn't seem to have too many good things being said about it lately, you might want to look into something else (for next time). Panacur... hmmm... I've heard various things about that, mostly that it, too, is not all that effective. Personally, I would use Drontal Plus for the hooks. I've only ever heard good results about that, besides the fact that I used that particular drug to clear up Summer's hookworms and it worked perfectly! She took the 2 separate doses and we never looked back.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Swifthounds

Manually expressing anal glands may allow immediate relief, but it's not healthy and it does both damage the glands and increase the likelihood of them becoming infected/impacted again. Preventative meaures are far more effective.

For now I would try the diaper rash cream and put on a muzzle to keep him from bothering it, unless you have another preferred method, but he must leave the area alone!. Are you familiar with what to look for if the anal gland becomes infected/impacted?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Arlie has a flare-up once in awhile. Based on my experience with her, I would suggest two things:

- probiotics daily (I put Fortiflora which I get from the vet on her food once per day, and it really helps to produce firm stools) and

- twice a day when her anus is irritated I clean it with a surgical sponge (you could use gauze or chessecloth, the idea is soft and lint-free) and warm water, dry it with another sponge, then apply a small amount of Fusiderm ointment; Fusiderm combines antibiotic and topical steroid; we do this for about 10 days and it clears her up nicely. You can get this from your vet - or maybe it's OTC in the US, it isn't here.

I usually do this before I feed her so that she is distracted for some time afterwards.

You should also keep an eye on your boy to stop the licking, but the Fusiderm will relieve at least some of the irritation / itching so it helps.

Hopefully your experience will be a one-time thing associated with the parasites.

For now I would try the diaper rash cream and put on a muzzle to keep him from bothering it, unless you have another preferred method, but he must leave the area alone!. Are you familiar with what to look for if the anal gland becomes infected/impacted?

Our vet told us to try Cortisone on his bum and a neck collar, but the muzzle seems more fitting since they are used to that. But we're uncertain if he can be muzzled unsupervised?? When we are home and he's in view he is SO obedient when we tell him "leave it" but when we can't see him and he needs to be muzzled (like when we are away from house) can he be left alone muzzled (in his kennel)?

I had a hound that had an owie that he was licking raw and I left him muzzled 24/7 for weeks until it healed, I even had duct tape covering the front of the basket muzzle to keep him from licking through the gaps. He was still able to drink water with this muzzle on.

Another thought is to modify a pr of kid sized sweat pants with just a hole cut out for his tail to sort of cover the area.