Bed Aggression Toward Dogs Only

Magic has been having issues with dogs when he's laying on his bed. This has happened a couple of times. He gets snarky when a dog comes near him when he's lying on a dog bed. He hasn't actually bitten anyone yet and I honestly doubt he will. He was attacked a few years ago and it may be related to that especially since a person can walk by and he won't react at all; but if a dog walks by, he'll react. Yesterday, I put his muzzle on him until our company went home. After they left, I took the muzzle off and he was fine with my housemates 2 greyhounds who were also visiting for Magic's Gotcha Day celebration. Does anyone have any suggestions to desensitize him?

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

The only thing that's helped mine is time. I've still got two that will growl or growl snap if another dog comes near their bed or bumps them while they are on them. They are a lot better now than they were when they first came home. Humans can even sit on their beds with them but let another dog disturb them and they will let them know. Right or wrong, I scolded mine when they growl/snapped at another dog for walking past their bed. Now days I just have to say their name in that warning tone I give and they stop. Pistol is so much better that I actually found him letting another dog lay next to him. Joey's a ton better, he only growls now and he only does it once and the other dog will move away. I still call his name with my tone and he's almost past it also so the only thing that's worked for me is time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest LindsaySF

Some of them are just like this. Sometimes it goes away once they are comfortable, sometimes not. If the dog they are growling at will take the warning and back off, that's good. Usually the dogs work it out amongst themselves. If one dog gets too growly (or stands and snaps) then they get the VOG from me. I would also muzzle or separate when you aren't present to supervise.

Guest BrianRke

Diamond will growl any time Frank or Daytona jump on the same bed or sofa that she is currently occupying. They ignore her and lay down anyway but she always feels it necessary to let her presence be known.

Guest PiagetsMom

We don't have beds here that "belong" to one or the other of the pups......we've always practiced whoever claims it first has the right to it, and maybe that helped prevent any possessiveness. Like Judy, I'd probably give some sort of correction for any snarkiness.