Potty Schedule & Stubbornness

Guest NewGreytFriend

Guest NewGreytFriend

Just got a beautiful greyhound. She is four, she stopped racing in June and we adopted her July 1. We have had her a month and a half. We are teachers, so the summer seemed a good time to to get her and have time to bond. We also just started obedience training--have had two sessions. I have a few issues I need advice on:

#1: She is hard to get up in the mornings. She would sleep till 9:00 or 10:00. I need to get her on a schedule, though, so she can potty before we leave for school. If I get her up and out the door, she just goes to the yard and plots down to snooze some more. I have tried walking her the past two mornings--this seems to be the only way to get her going, and this morning it was a little iffy. I got the collar and leash on and she just laid there. I took it off and walked away and she hopped up to follow me. Any other suggestions?? I hate the thought of her not peeing all night, then having to wait till one of us comes home at lunch. BTW she has had only one accident in her crate, but she was on Prednisone, so I don't count that one. Other than that, she has not peed or pooped anywhere but outside.

#2: What do I do when she goes into "statue" mode????

#3: What do I do when she is in "comatose" sleeping mode and I need to get her in her crate, or get her in the house (she likes to nap outside) because I have to go somewhere??? I can throw a treat and she'll pop up--but is this bribing--or bad training???

She is a wonderful pet, but she seems to have a stubborn streak that I wasn't prepared for.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Try getting a leash and wiggle it in front of her. When you are sure you have her attention (she is awake) put the leash on her. She should come.

She is testing you. Remember you are the Alpha.

You are the teacher, she is the student. She will try things just like the students.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

What's your girl's name? She's probably not so much stubborn as still pretty overwhelmed. I agree with you that the best thing you can do right now is get her on your schedule.

Does she have any health issues? It might help people answering to know. If not...

1. Walks are your best friend. Plan on walking as soon as you get up in the morning, with possibly a second one before you go to school/work. Turning her out by herself in the yard isn't working, and walking her will not only help her get moving, but it will help your bonding tremendously.

2. If she statues, I'd say let her for a few minutes, since it means something is likely either fascinating, comforting or overwhelming. Then gently say her name and the word you've chosen for come. Reward her for coming to you.

3. Which leads us to "I can throw a treat and she'll pop up--but is this bribing--or bad training?". Greys respond very well to positive training. Treats aren't bribes -- they are the reward for the hound understanding and responding to your message. You cannot overdo rewards; just keep training positive, short and fun for both of you.

Congratulations on your girl and welcome!

She has no idea of what's expected of her. The leash is your friend. Any time you want her to move, leashing her up will accomplish that. Decide what schedule you want her on and stick to it. My dogs came straight from the track and they have been fed and then let out at 6:00 every day, including weekends for years. It's the routine they came to me with and any time I've tried to change they protest. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

their life has been generally hanging around in the crate. so, when she is hunkered down in the crate that's what she knows how to do.

as mentioned above, your the teacher. it's time to introduce her to the world around her and what life can be. emily retreated to her crate and that was it. i tried high quality treats, hot dogs, dehyrdrated liver, cheese and there was some interest but no excitment. emily came to life when i started clicker training around a month after we adopted her. then within a month or two she was evaluated as a therapy dog, passed her canine good citizenship test and went on to more advanced classes and was ALIVE! it takes a good month for the pups to really observe the world around them and get going, but a stimulating expience will help. do you have a friend who owns a dog who you can walk with? it's always more interesting having another dog around. also, she has been with a pack of dogs and the stimulation will help.

be patient, be positive, be energetic. they reflect your level of energy and confidence and research some training programs with experienced staff. and remember to HAVE FUN!!! also remember these dogs had a job, they are now unemployed/retired. some do really well w/ retirement, some(like emily) need something to do, at least while they are transitioning. her weekly classes and visits to nursing homes and noogieland made life far more interesting. she was 4.5 when i adopted her after 168 races, right off the track.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest NewGreytFriend

Thanks for the advice. We've been going for a quick walk every morning. It helps her get going, gets her to pee, is great training (she's pulling less and less), and the exercise sure won't hurt me! :colgate The more we train (with LOTS of fun and positive stuff), the better things get. She is even sitting on command (YIPPEE!!), but only on the grass or soft surface.

Again, thanks for the advice....for those who asked, her name is Harley.

My only other advice is to add a verbal cue anytime you "bribe" her to do something. So a "get up" or "Let's go!" or even the jingling of the leash for a walk...whatever you want her to do. That way eventually she'll move with the cue, and not the treat.

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Welcome to the wonderful world of living with one of the smartest dogs out there. It can be challenging, frustrating, exciting and exhilarating, but you will never regret it! :flip

:welcome2:wubsite

june

Guest NewGreytFriend

Welcome to the wonderful world of living with one of the smartest dogs out there. It can be challenging, frustrating, exciting and exhilarating, but you will never regret it! :flip

:welcome2:wubsite

june

It's only been a 7 weeks, but I agree--we've been challenged, frustrated, excited, and exhilarated. Obedience training was a GREAT decision--so glad we did it. Harley is wonderful!!!