Vulva Tuck

Hey, i'm curious. those of you that have or have had dogs with vulva fold, were they spayed before their first heat cycle? some say spaying a large breed female before a first, or close to, heat cycle can cause vulva fold due to immature develope. My std poodle, Belle, was spayed at 6/mos. This is the earlies i've ever spayed a female. All the others had a heat cycle.

Thanks for replies,

June Bugg

I'd think finding a greyhound spayed before her first heat would have about the same odds as hitting the Powerball with the only winning ticket.

That's a laugh out loud statement. June Bugg ha!

Thank you all for your replies. With Belle i had to pull the fold of skin up to clean it. Her 'wazzy woo" (what i call a vulva - Yergl for the boys)was completely hidden and after cleaning the area so many times she wasn't a happy girl. For me surgery was the answer to a cronic problem. I couldn't imagine constantly cleaning her at an agility trial. Surgery worked!

Seems from all your replies that this condition is more genetic based than a symptom of early spaying.

Have a greyt day,

Bugg

Hey, i'm curious. those of you that have or have had dogs with vulva fold, were they spayed before their first heat cycle?

My female was spayed at two years old, after her racing career. You'll find that to be the case with the vast majority of greyhounds. ;)

I'm being truthful. I have yet to meet a female greyhound that didn't have the skin fold that at least partially covered their vulva. Some never have a problem. Many do.

It's supposed to be partially covered to an extent. It's when it's fully covered that it can become a problem.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest eaglflyt

Ady's wasn't completely covered, but the flap of skin partially covering the area was irritated from urination and also was a bacterial reservoir causing her repeated UTI's. There's a fairly good picture here. This hound's vulva is not completely covered. However, enough that it caused the hound problems. We did not have Ady's surgery done at the facility at the link, nor was a laser used in her surgery. The fact that the vulva is partially covered by a skin flap is what I have seen in every female greyhound. It may be the tightness of that skin flap that determines if it causes issues with trapping urine, constant wetness & irritation, or UTI's.

Results of a clinical study of the results of this surgery: HERE.

Ady's wasn't completely covered, but the flap of skin partially covering the area was irritated from urination and also was a bacterial reservoir causing her repeated UTI's. There's a fairly good picture here. This hound's vulva is not completely covered. However, enough that it caused the hound problems. We did not have Ady's surgery done at the facility at the link, nor was a laser used in her surgery. The fact that the vulva is partially covered by a skin flap is what I have seen in every female greyhound. It may be the tightness of that skin flap that determines if it causes issues with trapping urine, constant wetness & irritation, or UTI's.

Results of a clinical study of the results of this surgery: HERE.

Belle was covered more than 50% but was never diagnosed with UTI. Vet called it vaginitis even though there was a milky discharge. Nice pictures of the procedure. Thanks for sending. June

Guest jettcricket

Results of a clinical study of the results of this surgery: HERE .

Oooh...all I can say is ouch! Looks so painful although I'm sure the benefits justify having it done.

My Hollie is a bit covered....her vulva doesn't stand out like the one in the picture. Is the one in the picture supposed to be a normal looking one or only because she had surgery?

Guest Swifthounds

Have Fuzzy and Idol had cultures done of the crust/discharge? Do either have funky ears? Both places are first choice spots for yeast overgrowth, which can cause problems on it's own and be a gateway to other infections. Sometimes a change of diet or supplementation can help.

We had this done with one of our girls, Lottie, she had a couple of uti's and a lot of irritation even with cleaning after going out and at bed time. tried several of the Rx powders from the vet finally went with just plain old corn starch very lightly applied/dusting to the dried area, it helped more that the powders.

We went with the surgery after a uti that took a long time to clear.

She did well with it, a few weeks after you couldn't even tell she'd had surgery it healed so well.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry