Bailey's Problem

Guest dray1965

Guest dray1965

Well, I think it was last week I was inquiring as to whether my Bailey might have anal gland problems. I've only found a couple of spots around the house this week, I was beginning to think that whatever was going on was getting better - every time I checked his butt, it looked fine. Well, earlier today, he was laying on the couch beside me with his legs up in the air (he had just had a little episode of licking/biting at his butt), I had a clear view of his anus - and suddenly liquid oozed out - I ran and got a paper towel - it was blood. It stopped pretty quickly, but I can't imagine what is causing it? He eats fine, potties fine, doesn't act sick in any way shape or form, which gives me some hope that its nothing too major. I will be taking him to the vet first thing in the morning - since he's not continually bleeding. I'll post an update tomorrow.

My Barnaby had that same thing happen and it was infected anal glands. They cleaned them and packed them with I think the vet said was an antiboitc ointment and he was also put on a course of oral antiboitcs. He did recur one more time shortly after the oral antibiotics were completed. He repeated the same treatment and they never got infected again.

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

I hope he didn't rupture an anal gland.

For Barnaby the bloody liquid oozed out his anus just as the OP mentioned Bailey's did. Barnaby's gland did not rupture.

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Guest dray1965

I would think if Bailey had ruptured an anal gland, it wouldn't stop bleeding. My mind has been racing all afternoon/evening wondering what it could be, but you guys are giving me up that it could just be a matter of getting the anal glands cleaned out and some antibiotics. He is such a sweet boy, he is 7 years old, and I've only had him a little over a year and a half, he is my baby. My first greyhound succumbed to cancer after I'd had her a year and eight months, so you can understand how the timing of this scares the heck out of me. I'm praying it's a simple fix and that he'll be alright. I'll post an update tomorrow on what the vet says.

Guest sweetpea

If your vet thinks the gland is infected (which is what it seems like to me), please make sure they

inject some anti-biotic ointment into the gland. Just oral anti-biotics will not be

potent enough by themselves. (Been there, failed that)

Good luck!

Buzzy

Guest dray1965

If your vet thinks the gland is infected (which is what it seems like to me), please make sure they

inject some anti-biotic ointment into the gland. Just oral anti-biotics will not be

Good luck!

Buzzy

Hi Buzzy,

Thanks! I will make sure they do that if the gland is infected. Thanks for the tip!

Ditto