Poop Problem

Guest dray1965

Guest dray1965

I don't know if Bailey is having bowel problems or anal gland problems, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong and what he needs. He basically poops very well, usually solid, sometimes it starts solid and then a little soft. Over the past few days he's found pieces of another dog's food on the sidewalk, we live in a condo and the maintenance man always has his little dog with him, so I'm thinking maybe that's the problem Bailey is having, I get him away from it as soon as I can, but he always gets a little - and I'm talking three or four nuggets, the bowl isn't out there, just leftovers.

Anyway, Bailey pooped at lunch time yesterday (which he rarely does), but he had just eaten grass, and that's some of what he pooped out - grass. Last night he didn't poop very much after dinner, not unusual if he goes at noontime, but after going the one time, he acted like he wanted to try some more but nothing came out. Later on last night he was obsessed with licking his anal area, at first I thought he was just grooming, but he seems to be on a mission.

This morning when I woke up, there was a stain on the pillow beside me, he sleeps with me, and usually by morning he is upside down with his butt on the pillow next to me. It looked like possibly he'd managed to express an anal sac. When I took him out, he pooped very little after breakfast and it was very soft. I just took him out for his mid day walk because he kept getting in my face and barking and whining, which he never does unless he's gotta go really bad. He pooped again, and it was more, but it was also soft. And, that was after eating grass (which is usually his favorite noon time activity). As soon as he came back in, he went after his butt again, not to obsessively and then laid down and was panting up a storm, for a minute I thought he was in some kinda pain, but he did settle down. He eats normally, and I haven't changed a thing in his diet - he had some major D problems a year ago and once we figured out the right formula for him, I haven't changed a thing with him.

He has passed a little gas yesterday and today - but not much. Also, note, his stool was absolutely normal yesterday morning.

Anybody got any ideas what I could be dealing with?

It could be a reaction to the food he's getting off the sidewalk and it could also be because he's eating a lot of grass. I'd try to stop the two and see if things go back to normal.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

The wet spot on the pillow may have been from licking. If it was anal gland "juice" it would stink stink stink.

If he continues to obsess with licking his hiney he may need to have his glands expressed by the vet. It gets mighty messy if a gland ruptures.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest d0ggiem0mma

If he'll let you... you can gently feel the area around his bum to see if his anal glads are full. If you think of his bum as a clock, his tail would be high noon. The anal glands would be around 5 and 7. If they are full you can usually feel them through the skin. They will feel like large peas or beans.

Do a quick search on YouTube for videos if you're brave and want to empty them yourself! Keep in mind that the stuff coming out will ***STINK*** so do it in the bathtub or outside and keep yourself out of the line of fire!!!

If he'll let you... you can gently feel the area around his bum to see if his anal glads are full. If you think of his bum as a clock, his tail would be high noon. The anal glands would be around 5 and 7. If they are full you can usually feel them through the skin. They will feel like large peas or beans.

Do a quick search on YouTube for videos if you're brave and want to empty them yourself! Keep in mind that the stuff coming out will ***STINK*** so do it in the bathtub or outside and keep yourself out of the line of fire!!!

If you're expressing the glands yourself, place a paper towel over his butt, feel through the towel to where the glands are, then squeeze gently (see the videos). Expressing the glands through the paper towel will help keep you from getting squirted. Also, you'll be able to see the result on the paper towel. If it's at all milky or clouded (or red), talk to his vet.

To clean him up afterward, use a damp paper towel to wipe off any of the liquid. Then spritz a paper towel with your favorite doggie cologne, and wipe around his butt again.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest dray1965

Thanks for all the advice. His stool is back to being formed and he's back to his twice a day schedule. I was thinking he's probably over his problems, I've been keeping him away from eating grass. However, tonight, he has passed gas a couple of times and it is SO MUCH WORSE than he usually does - the smell is just way beyond awful! He won't let me even look at his butt. I'm really suspicious that his anal glands are full. I'm going to try again to check him out, though I'm not brave enough to actually express them myself, I want to at least have an idea that that may be his problem. Maybe someone in my adoption group knows how to express his glands if that's what's needed. If not, I'm setting him up with an appt at the vet.