They Call Me "the Pooper Scooper"

Guest meggera

Guest meggera

I am called The Pooper Scooper for obvious reasons. Not only do I clean up after Vanille I also clean up at my sisters house after their two dogs. While I was cleaning up her yard I noticed some poop that seemed to be wiggling. So I gathered it up separately and I found these through-out the sample I pulled.

DSC_0001.JPG

They varied in size from very tiny (smaller than a grain of rice) to three times the size of a rice.

DSC_0002.JPG

One even looked bloody.

DSC_0003.JPG

From the sample I took I would say there were a hundred or more of these through the poop. At first I thought they were maggots but after more closely examining the fecal sample the creatures were so tightly packed in they had to have passed through the dogs digestive system. My concerns are as follows:

1. Are these worms? Are these maggots? Can maggots live inside the intestines of a dog?
  2. Vanille has been over in the yard while I clean (sans my sisters dogs) and has on occasions eaten their poop (I don't always get to it before her but we haven't mastered the "leave it" command). Should I take Vanille to the vet and have her tested? Since last night I have been checking all of her poop and haven't seen anything but I don't want to risk her health if the gestation period is still early. She is on Heartguard but I don't know if it treats the type of worms that these are (if they are worms).
  3. I tried to show my sister and brother-in-law the sample but they didn't want to see it. This morning while I was over to clean their yard they told me they were going to IFA to purchase paste wormer themselves. Shouldn't they take their dogs to the vet and have a professional test them and perform any worming that may be necessary?
  4. I have a basket muzzle for Vanille that I now firmly believe she has to wear whenever outside to prevent any further ingestion of feces. But should I get a poop guard? If so, where do I purchase one?

I'm just so worried about not only Vanille but for the health and safety of my sisters dogs as well. Any advice, suggestions, or input you can provide me is sincerely appreciated!

Guest mountain4greys

My eyes aren't that great, but they look like tape worms to me. They are easy to get rid of. I always just go to my vet and he gives me the pills, and the worms are gone.

You can get a poop guard via GEM greyhounds: http://gemgreyhounds.org/gem_store/muzzles.htm They have excellent service!

I would get a fecal done on Vanilla -- seems a cheap and easy measure to be on the safe side if she's been hanging out in a worm-infested yard.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest meggera

Great suggestions and thank you for the link. I'm going to call my vet now to see when I can get her in to have a fecal done and then time to purchase a stool guard.

Random I know, but I love being owned by a dog. Always a new adventure!

Those look like the bugs that crawl in there after it has "cured" for a few days. Tapes look different.

Edited by Brindles

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest FullMetalFrank

Those look like the bugs that crawl in there after it has "cured" for a few days. Tapes look different.

This is what I am thinking, too.

I would say these are maggots and I've seen plenty of those as my OH is an angler. The pale brown one top left is what they call a 'caster' when the maggot has turned into a chrysalis before hatching out into a fly/bluebottle or whatever.

Sue from England

To know if it's tapes, you'd have to catch it when its first dropped. The tape segments don't usually stay too active for long and tend to disappear quickly. If the poop you're picking is older, there could be a whole host of various critters in it since it is nutrient rich... fly larva, spider eggs, maggots, etc.

The second picture looks like a potato bug to me: http://www.flowers.vg/flowers/potato-bug.htm

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest mountain4greys

I had a weird feeling these weren't tapes, but if they were worms, that would have been my guess.

But I knew something didn't look quite right. Maggots fit the description a lot better.