Ever Been Bit By A Greyhound?

Guest LindsaySF

Maidmarcia, the couch is a whole other ballgame. Even some dogs that don't mind you touching/grabbing their collar at other times, will get defensive if you grab their collar when they are on the couch (OR on their dog bed laying down). If the dog must be moved off the couch, loop a leash around their neck and get them off that way, or go into another room and get them interested in something in there. But the best long-term solution is to teach the "off" command, as Gemma said. If the dog keeps growling over the couch, then the dog shouldn't be allowed on it.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to start teaching the off command. So far the collar hasn't elicited any growling from me though, especially if I speak quietly and apply a gentle pressure. I think he dislikes my sister because she yells at him and was being too rough.

I think you've identified the problem here. Good luck.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest maidmarcia

My sister was home alone with him one night and she decided that she wanted to sit on the couch he was sleeping on (even though there was another free open couch, don't get me started on that...) and she sat beside him on the couch and started whacking his butt to get his attention. She kept telling him to get off the couch and continued smacking him until he reared up and full out barked loudly at her, as a warning I think...I had a husky for over ten years and she never once growled or bit anyone. Ever. I don't agree that every single dog per se WILL bite. Of course it's a possibility, but not every dog does.

Did your sister ever sit on the couch with the husky, yell at her and continually smack her on the butt????:unsure If someone did that to me I'd rear up and growl at her too. The warning bark was a good sign -- he could have just bitten her (as my beagle did to me when I was 5 and I bothered him on the couch). Instead he said "BACK OFF".

Your sister needs some serious dog training -- not just greyhounds, but dogs in general -- before something bad happens.

If she could sit neat to him to smack him there was space for her on the couch. Did she want to make him get off so she could have the whole couch? Why?

I have no idea what she was thinking. Basically, she has told me that she doesn't care for animals that aren't hers. She yells at them (my cat and the grey) all the time because they tend to mill around when one walks through the door. All they're doing is being friendly and saying hi, but she just can't seem to handle it. She said that if they were her animals, she would treat them better, but because they're not hers and not her responsibility, she doesn't have to be nice to them. Last night she was sitting on the couch and he crawled up beside and started licking her foot...she immediately pulled away and spoke harshly to him.

I don't know how much words he understands but I think he picks up on her hostile tone and he reacts to it. I know this is painting her in a very negative light and she is a good person, but she's definitely NOT an animal person.

My cat also seems to sense this from her and he'll chase her around the apartment clawing at her ankles when she's home. He has never done it to me...and it always elicits loud cursing from her. It does amuse me.

Not sure if anyone has any suggestions with regards to this tricky situation. I'm hoping she'll move out by February...I really want to get another grey eventually and I KNOW she wouldn't be able to handle two.

Would you allow a stranger on the street to be hostile towards your pets? Would you allow their vet? You are their protector.

She said that if they were her animals, she would treat them better, but because they're not hers and not her responsibility, she doesn't have to be nice to them.
:mum

I know this is painting her in a very negative light and she is a good person
You're right, it does paint her in a negative light. Your sister sounds very young, imo.

My only suggestion is that sis needs to respect your things, your pets and your rules while she is in your house. No if's, and's or but's. If she can't handle this, she can stay in her room. That is your house and THEIR house, not hers. Stick to this "golden rule" and I am betting she will be moving before Feb.

Guest maidmarcia

Would you allow a stranger on the street to be hostile towards your pets? Would you allow their vet? You are their protector.

She said that if they were her animals, she would treat them better, but because they're not hers and not her responsibility, she doesn't have to be nice to them.
:mum

I know this is painting her in a very negative light and she is a good person
You're right, it does paint her in a negative light. Your sister sounds very young, imo.

My only suggestion is that sis needs to respect your things, your pets and your rules while she is in your house. No if's, and's or but's. If she can't handle this, she can stay in her room. That is your house and THEIR house, not hers. Stick to this "golden rule" and I am betting she will be moving before Feb.

She does sound young in that post, but she is 21...she knows better. I think the term "immature" is better used here.

I wish it worked that way and I'd take that firm stance, but we share an apartment equally. Of course I cleared getting a dog with her before I got Licorice and she initially stated she wouldn't mind having a dog around...but I think she's regretting that position. Anyway, like you said, she'll probably move out soon and she's scared of him now...she won't touch him at all, whether a pet or a smack.

I guess she's just not an animal person.

Guest duckbilled

Ike has snapped at my wife twice but never made contact. The two of them share the couch and it is always a battle for space. In both incidents, my wife accidentally sat on him because his leg was hidden under a blanket. When we researched greys we were told that sleep anxiety was common. Ike doesn't have an issue with it at all. He doesn't have a crate so I think he believes that the couch is his crate. When you give him a treat in the kitchen, he takes it and eats it on the couch. Since he has had to share the couch with my wife from day one, I think he is accustomed to being touched when he is sleeping. In general, he is about as quiet, tolerant and gentle as a 75lb creature could be. No problem with trimming nails, brushing teeth, brushing... Sure, he whines and squirms but he is not aggressive.

It also seems that accidents happen when people get between two dogs. We only have one so I bet our experience would be really different with an additional grey. In the end, I know we are lucky because he certainly has the capacity to do damage. Nonetheless, I think he is too lazy to bother with that stuff. Sometimes he won't even leave the couch for a treat.

Guest maidmarcia

Just a quick update:

Licorice and my sister were sharing the same couch during a movie a couple nights ago. At the end of the movie she was talking to us and started leaning against him/forward. I think she was putting too much pressure on his butt without realizing it, because he growled and showed his teeth.

I immediately told him off and she backed away. Then I started petting him to make sure he wouldn't do the same thing to me. He was fine. I think they have a really bad relationship and now she's scared of him which doesn't make things much better.

My boyfriend suggested that she spend some time with him, feed him and maybe give him a couple treats so that they'll be able to establish a good bond. Any other suggestions?

We also have decided that he is no longer allowed on the couch when someone else is already sitting it on it.

I would not tell him off for growling. You want your dog to growl when he is trying to convey discomfort. When we reprimand for growling, we just teach our dogs not to growl, which means we severely limit their ability to tell us something is upsetting them. I have a foster, right now, who I suspect was reprimanded for growling in his last home because he gives NO clear warning before snapping. Even his body language is very subtle. I'd rather have a dog who growls on occasion than one who has learned to go straight for the snap/bite!

If he growls when on the sofa, just tell him to get down. It should diffuse the situation. :)