Terrified Of Fireworks, Barking At Thunder

Guest Nat_JJ

Guest Nat_JJ

Don't post on here much but Jasper has made me wonder if anybody elses dog does the same. I hope this is the right place to post this. We have had a bit of thunder here the past few days and it drives Jasper mad. He barks and barks and barks at it! Big proper deep barks rather than his little ‘girly’ barks (as I call them) that he does at any other time. The fur down his back stands on end and he just barks, makes growly type noises and even the odd tail wag. He is quite funny to watch, he just runs around the house barking as if he’s saying ‘go away thunder!’ barking his daft head off. He is not at all scared like he is with fireworks when he turns into a quivering, drooling, shaking, panting wreck. I know fireworks are a different sound pitch but surely if he’s so afraid of fireworks he’d be afraid of thunder too, even just a little bit? Just wondering why he’s so brave with thunder.

Jasper is normally quite vocal but doesn’t bark ‘at’ things like the doorbell, loud booms like the recycle lorry makes or anything like that but one clap of thunder and he's barking like a madman. He barks at us when he’s demanding something or when we’ve fallen out of his schedule (he’s very good at that!) and sometimes at other dogs in play but not at all other than that. Just wish he’d be scared of thunder and bark at fireworks instead – we get a lot more fireworks than thunder so it would be a lot easier on him come firework season. Maybe not better for our hearing but it would save him 3+ weeks of sheer panic.

Guest HHHounds

The only time that Candyman barked was at thunder. A big boy bark - head up, tail up almost like an alert. In the middle of the night it could be more startling than the thunder! I had never heard of another hound doing this before! Enjoy the bark - I miss my Candyman!

One of my boys is very noise phobic, and runs out to bark at thunder and fireworks, and then my other boy is thunder phobic and hides and shakes when it thunders.

This has been our first experience with both and when I blocked the dog door, Wayne tried to jump out the window and luckily I got between him and the window soon enough to stop him.

It's just no fun for them!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Nat_JJ

The only time that Candyman barked was at thunder. A big boy bark - head up, tail up almost like an alert. In the middle of the night it could be more startling than the thunder! I had never heard of another hound doing this before! Enjoy the bark - I miss my Candyman!

This is exactly what it is, like an alert type bark. He comes and finds me and he's like 'Mum, mum i'm gonna scare that big noise off, just watch me!'. He's a funny boy.

Guest Nat_JJ

One of my boys is very noise phobic, and runs out to bark at thunder and fireworks, and then my other boy is thunder phobic and hides and shakes when it thunders.

This has been our first experience with both and when I blocked the dog door, Wayne tried to jump out the window and luckily I got between him and the window soon enough to stop him.

It's just no fun for them!

Out the window? How scary! Glad you could stop him. Its awful when they're so scared of something and you can't help them at all isn't it. I would take the barking at the thunder over the stress of fireworks any day though. Every year he gets worse and worse with fireworks and nothinig helps him.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My shy female barks at thunder as well as fireworks. While I do know its anxiety, I am glad that it manifests itself as barking rather than a quivering bag of goo. We just ignore her when she is barking and to tell you the truth, it has been getting better in the last year or so. Now when we are in bed, she wont even stir when the big thunder boomers come through in the springtime.

We don't get a lot of thunder here, but when we do, Molly runs outside and barks at it :rolleyes: I am sure the neighbors are thrilled to have her chasing it away in the middle of the night! I have to run out after her and (loud whisper) "get in here! Hush!" :lol She doesn't mind fireworks, although my other two are terrified. They would probably ignore the thunder except Molly gets them worked up about it :rolleyes: