Strange Panting

:waveHi, my name is Lauren, and I'm a first-time dog owner!

All this and he is probably just hot?!

Bernie is my first dog ever, and the last time Justin owned a dog was when he was a little kid. So, both of us are actually still learning. We will still head to the vet soon regarding the Clomipramine.

It never hurts to ask! Even though it sounds like this is probably a non-issue. :blush

Don't feel bad about asking. All of us were first-time dog owners at some point. :)

Sam does this periodically. Sam gives every appearance of just being too lazy to open his mouth all the way...and of being reluctant to let his tongue spill out to the carpet (and stick to it) while he's panting. He only does this while he's flat on his side. If I call his name, he'll lift his head and stop the hiss-panting, changing over to tongue-out form.

My girl almost never does this. She'll sit up and pant with her tongue out rather than doing the hiss-panting. So it's not something all dogs do routinely--another reason you and Justin would have worried about Bernie.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I thought it looked like dreaming, unless he's not always asleep like that when he does it. When my Iggy does that, it's usually soon to be followed by running and barking until she wakes herself (and looks at me accusingly). I thought I saw his front feet move once towards the end, but I wasn't sure....

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

:waveHi, my name is Lauren, and I'm a first-time dog owner!

All this and he is probably just hot?!

Bernie is my first dog ever, and the last time Justin owned a dog was when he was a little kid. So, both of us are actually still learning. We will still head to the vet soon regarding the Clomipramine.

It never hurts to ask! Even though it sounds like this is probably a non-issue. :blush

Your response cracked me up! Thanks for the laugh! :D

I agree, it's always better to ask than to ignore something that might seem off to you. Thank you for watching out for Bernie's health. Sounds like you're a being a good Greyhound mom. :) You never know, your thread might help other readers. It's great for all of us to be able to ask for other opinions and share experiences. There are a lot of Greyhound years of experience under GT member's belts.:wubsite

I just watched your video. Thank you for posting it. Honestly, I think he's just warm. He looks fine to me. That doesn't look like any serious throat/breathing/partial obstruction issue at all. All our hounds do that panting frequently. Our hounds avoid their dog beds when it's too hot. They like cooler places to lie down when they're too warm. Last night, one hound stayed downstairs to sleep because it was too hot upstairs. That was a first for her, but it was nothing to worry about. Just too warm. Hopefully, Bernie is just fine.:)

I agree. Robin does that when he's hot. (or when he "imagines" he's hot, even though it's not! he's so dramatic). I call it his "lazy pant" because it's like he doesn't want to go to the effort of lifting his head to pant full out, so he just does it that weird way, so his mouth doesn't have to move.

Sometimes he'll even do it after hours in the air conditioning. He says it's hot, when it's really not. He's doing it in my air-conditioned room right now as I type.

Hopefully, that's all it is. :)

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Thanks for posting the video! Fletcher's mouth position is about the same, but his panting is much louder. I agree, I think Bernie is probably just hot :) Still, wouldn't hurt to talk to your vet. I don't think he's in pain. From what I've seen, when they are panting from pain, they are usually more "awake" if that makes sense.

Guest dray1965

I watched your video with interest - that is EXACTLY what my Bailey does. He only does this panting after his evening walk, I've always figured it was the heat, but still worried. We live in Florida - so the temps are in the 90's. I walk him 20 mins in the morning when it's still a little bit cool. In the evening, the heat is up and and I live in a condo - so there's a lot of pavement - we do try to stick to the grassy, shade areas, but we have to walk on a lot of pavement to get to them. After 10 mins outside in the evening, he comes back in and does that exact same panting as your baby. I'm agreeing with the other posters that have said it's probably the heat. The background is very similar too - Bail is on a potato based diet for about year since a major episode with the big D last July, he used to be on chicken and rice. I've since figured out that rice and bread will give him D.

Guest BillF

Yes, that's the "weird" panting. It usually happens at night (but not always) and goes on for a few minutes, although it seems like forever when its happening! After a couple of minutes, he seems to take an extra-deep breath, then go back to breathing normally. It really doesn't seem to bother him, but it bothers ME! I want to find out what's causing it.

My boy Tip has been doing this recently. Sometimes he will breath as heavy as he can through his nose for a few minutes, then stop. My girl Olive does it a little also, just not as much.

I took Tip to the vet last Saturday and had blood work done. The vet said it was normal. Olive had blood work done a few months ago before a dental.

Both of mine have been off their food lately. We were using Kirklands chicken and rice. A lot of dogs have been refusing to eat it now - there's another thread about it on Greytalk. So we've been working on finding a new food they will eat. For a few weeks they just would not eat kibble.

So, I'm keeping an eye on them, but mainly writing it off as a change in the routine, and the heat. We're in Alabama. It's near 100 during the day. We'll take short walks around dark and they still panting when we get back.

Bill

Guest BillF

Yes, that's the "weird" panting. It usually happens at night (but not always) and goes on for a few minutes, although it seems like forever when its happening! After a couple of minutes, he seems to take an extra-deep breath, then go back to breathing normally. It really doesn't seem to bother him, but it bothers ME! I want to find out what's causing it.

My boy Tip has been doing this recently. Sometimes he will breath as heavy as he can through his nose for a few minutes, then stop. My girl Olive does it a little also, just not as much.

I took Tip to the vet last Saturday and had blood work done. The vet said it was normal. Olive had blood work done a few months ago before a dental.

Both of mine have been off their food lately. We were using Kirklands chicken and rice. A lot of dogs have been refusing to eat it now - there's another thread about it on Greytalk. So we've been working on finding a new food they will eat. For a few weeks they just would not eat kibble.

So, I'm keeping an eye on them, but mainly writing it off as a change in the routine, and the heat. We're in Alabama. It's near 100 during the day. We'll take short walks around dark and they still panting when we get back.

Bill

A quick Tip update - the last two nights he has peed in the house. This hasn't happened since I got him. I'll try to catch some tomorrow and run it to the vet to check for a UTI.