Mole Removal

Our 11 y/o grey girl, Faye Oops, has a large mole on the inside of her right back leg. She's had it since we've got her a year ago, but it's been getting larger. Lately, she has been licking it a lot. We took her to the vet yesterday and she recommended removal. We're brining her in tomorrow for the surgery. Once removed, they are going to biopsy it.

Does anyone else here have "mole-y" greyhounds? All of our greyhounds seem to have moles on various parts of their bodies, but this is the first one we've dealt with that has gotten big and irritated one of them.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Huh. I didn't know dogs could get moles. Maybe that's what the weird bump is on Fenny's leg that I sometimes poke at. :blush Let us know the results!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Good news... Faye Oops made it out of surgery and is resting comfortably. They only had to sedate her - not put her fully under. Vet said she is doing great - resting flat out on her side - and even joked that it must be the part lab in her. Faye Oops is very W-I-D-E for a greyhound. Someone said to me at Grapehounds-VA that her race name, Santa Fe Oops, must have come from the "Oops, she is half-lab". We told that to our vet who got a kick out of it. It will be about a week before we get the biopsy results. In the meantime, we just hope that Faye Oops will be more comfortable without that big 'ole mole on her leg.

I'm really suprised that no one else has responded back about moles on greyhounds. Surely Faye Oops can't be the only one.

Guest greytbookert

A few of mine had moles but none that changed shape or seemed to be bothersome.

I'm glad that Faye Oops is recovering well! We'll be thinking B9 for the results!

A couple of mine have moles. They had them when I got them and no changes so I just leave them alone. Now if they were to grow bigger, I would probably have them removed.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank has a mole; it's been there as long as I've known him. It's under his armpit, about a quarter inch in diameter. It's pretty much like a mole on human skin; never changes or grows, and it's never bothered him.

Frank has a mole; it's been there as long as I've known him. It's under his armpit, about a quarter inch in diameter. It's pretty much like a mole on human skin; never changes or grows, and it's never bothered him.

Unfortunately, Faye Oops mole did get bigger and was starting to bother her. She was licking it constantly and it was clearly infected. My mother has had several moles removed over the years. If they start to grow, it's usually a bad sign. We'll have to wait about a week before we get the biopsy results back.

Guest Barbara

This is a round, raised lump on Allstun's flank, just about mid-abdomen, on the margin between his side and his belly. It's about the size of a pea. It doesn't appear to have anything inside it (like a cyst) and has no outlet. It has no depressed areas on it, it's not really crusty, nor is it wart-like. It doesn't seem to bother him, but he doesn't really care for me to play with it. He's had this as long as I've known him.

Next time we visit the vet, I'll ask what they think it is, and if they suggest removal. Does anyone have anything similar?

view1.jpg

Barbara-- next time you take your hound to the vet have the vet aspirate that mass. Just because it doesn't seem to bother them doesn't mean it's nothing to worry about. Could anyting from a benign cyst to a mast cell tumor etc..

• 1 month later...
Guest Barbara

This is REALLY odd. I had to go out of town on business, and my dogs stayed at a kennel for three nights. When I brought them home, I noticed that Allstun looked thinner, as if he might not have eaten while there. Well, I thought, he was in a new place and unsure of what that meant - okay then.

But then I noticed that I could not see his lump (as you can see in the photo above). I felt for it, could not find it. There seems to be absolutely no sign of it that I can find. Do you think it is perhaps like the pop up timer on a frozen turkey, except it indicates when he's getting too fat?

Very very strange!

If my dogs have growths that are getting bigger I will usually have them removed and biopsied as a matter of course. If they need to go under anesthesia, I will try and have it done at the same time as another procedure (like a dental).

That looks somewhat like a pea-sized cyst Beth had that I was going to have removed eventually ... meanwhile it ruptured under the skin and caused a local autoimmune reaction that left her with a silver-dollar sized hairless spot that had to be surgically repaired. So in future I get all bumps removed sooner rather than later. The vet didn't think Beth's needed to be biopsied -- she's had a number of cyst-type bumps, fortunately non in the past year. Just wanted to share a cautionary tale about waiting too long!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad