Yard Treatment For Ticks

Guest peggy

Guest peggy

Peggy has been bringing in ticks from the yard. We treat her skin directly with Frontline Plus every 30 days, but I have found at least five ticks on my carpet near her in the past week alone. We want to treat the yard directly to kill the ticks. We bought Bio Spot Yard and Garden treatment. I have been reading online (here and other places) that Bio Spot tick treatment for dogs is not safe for greyhounds, but it appears that all posts relate only to the skin treatment for dogs. I'm wondering if the same applies to yard treatment. I want to keep Peggy healthy, but we live in PA where Lyme Disease runs rampant so we need to address the ticks in the yard. Does anyone have any experience with the Bio Spot YARD TREATMENT (not the stuff you apply directly to the dog)? Thanks in advance!

-Courtney, Peggy and the ticks

Thanks for posting this. I am wanting to know, as well. We have found fleas on Wendy (my Grey) and ticks on my MIL's lttile terrier. :puke What's safe to use to fumigate the yards?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

The Bio-Spot should be fine -- use as directed (probably needs to dry before you let dogs out on it, and make sure you don't have dedicated soil/grass eaters until you've had some rain).

P.S. I like this one http://www.virbacvet.com/Products/VirbacAnimalHealth-Anti-parasitic/EnvironmentalControl/Yard/VirbacYardSpray.aspx , but it can be kinda pricey.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlueCrab

I heard recently that deer ticks don't actually come from deer, but more often from mice. There is something out there - I'm still trying to find out what it is and where to buy it - but it's essentially treated cotton balls or treated cotton fabric. You place it in your yard in toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls (actually it sounds like it's sold already in the rolls). The mice go in to fetch it, take it back to their burrows to line their nest, and the treated aspect of it kills the ticks that the mice are carrying and those that infest the mouse den, so they then can't crawl out into your yard and get onto you or the dog. Heard about it on one of those on-radio garden shows, but didn't catch a name of the product. Sounds intriguing, but have no idea if it works only on deer ticks or all ticks.

Anyone heard anything like this?