Degloving Or Bad Abrasion?

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Sigh.

I don't know how she does it, but she does, at least once a year... Aleeya manages to separate her skin from her body!

Last time, it was the front of her back leg, somehow pinched when she was lying in front of a door that opened too fast.

Tonight? not a clue. I came home and the back of her bad leg, where that tendon (like an achilles tendon, above the ankle?) is just barely covered with fur-- now has less fur.

I cleaned it with non-stinging foam disinfectant. I pulled the skin up a bit, and I sprayed it with a collagen spray and Cothivet (makes it scab I think) and put Polysporin on it too. Gauze patch, wrapped with gauze, then vet wrap.

I'll check it in the morning-- of course, we have a greyhound picnic to go to tomorrow, it would figure.

UGH-- why do greyhound have such thin skin???? :angry:

Ok, I'm just sort of venting-- if you have any advice, I"m happy to hear it :)

Thanks,

Soren

Guest sorenkkg

Thanks Karen :)

I think there's some sort of greyhound rule-- can't ever NOT have a medical thing going on. And if you have 2, it's one or the other... for *special* occasions, both will have some sort of injury or issue. They usually save that for the night before we go away or something.

She's limping around now and putting on a bit of a sad-sack show :rolleyes: I've stuck my finger 2x under the bandage, so I think they are not too tight. The collagen and stuff probably stung a bit. I'm sure she will have licked through everything by tomorrow morning anyway.

oh geez, I'm obviously a little cranky. Better get to bed. Will report as we go along.

Thanks,

S.

Guest sorenkkg

Thanks :) It's looking better today-- I think i managed to pull 1/2 the fur back up over it, so there's a spot about the size of a nickel of exposed flesh (or whatever that is). I changed the dressing, and the bandage had been a *wee* bit tight (not overly swolen yet) and now it's totally normal.

She's not licking at the bandage yet-- I think when it's healed a few more days it will start to itch.

Another day, another greyhound drama :rolleyes: Maybe she'll realize she can make it up the stairs tonight-- she gave it about 15 tries yesterday before giving up and sleeping in the living room. Poor monkey.

:) s.