Prednisone & Plavix

Hi,

Just looking for thoughts or experiences with dogs on Prednisone & Plavix. The more reading I do on Pred, the more I am afraid of it and it's side effects. Ducky is starting on it for IBD/PLE and I am going to give Plavix as a precaution, along with azathioprine (Imuran). Thoughts, experiences, good, bad, all are welcome, thanks!

On a side note, he is 12 and I just want him to be as comfortable as possible in his time here with me.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Um, well...unless Plavix has a different veterinary use then it does human use, it's sort of a blood thinner. Not exactly but it does prevent blood cells from clumping and causing vascular stroke. Do you have more info?

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Did you mean Pepcid (rather than Plavix)?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Plavix might be used to prevent blood clots-- dogs taking pred (especially GH's) are prone to have a thrombo event. When my bridgegirl Kate was taking pred (for pancytopenia) Dr Couto had me start her on low dose aspirin--- as it turned out she still threw a bunch of clots--she ended up needing a splenictomy. Taking pepcid is a good idea to use while using a oral steroid. I used prilosec and carafate with great success.

Wow, I can't believe how quickly the urination/thirst comes on. He has his fist dose last night at dinner, and was up every few hours to go out to pee, and each time it was such a long stream! Plus he leaked a lot in his bed and kept licking all night. Poor guy. I thought the urination issues would just be one of the "annoying" side effects, but he was up all night I'm sure it can't be comfortable for him. :( I'm hoping this tapers off?

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

For us, it's always tapered off in 5-10 days. Before that I set my internal clock and take the dog out every couple hours whether he wants to go or not. IIRC overnight I would usually get @ 6 hours until the dog accustomed to the dose.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Figmama

Plavix might be used to prevent blood clots-- dogs taking pred (especially GH's) are prone to have a thrombo event. When my bridgegirl Kate was taking pred (for pancytopenia) Dr Couto had me start her on low dose aspirin--- as it turned out she still threw a bunch of clots--she ended up needing a splenictomy. Taking pepcid is a good idea to use while using a oral steroid. I used prilosec and carafate with great success.

Wow, first time I've read that about the Pred and am thinking of putting our Grey on that for the Lymphoma. He does take Pepcid now for the protein issues.

Now I'm more confused.

Anyone else had problems with their dogs on Pred and having clot issues???

Guest Babs

My 7 year old, Mac, was just put on plavix - 75 mg, 1/2 tablet daily for blood clots. He had a stroke last May, with some paralysis, due to a blood clot in the brain. He was put on enalapril daily and recovered fully from that incident, then a year later to the day, in May of this year, we think he may have passed another blood clot and was back in the hospital for 3 days. Now he is on enalapril, plavix, amlodipine and a 1/2 aspirin daily! He's been on the plavix for 3 weeks now with no side effects yet. So with all of these blood pressure meds we are hoping they will all work together to stop any more blood clots from developing. Mac's cardiologist told us that it is common for Greyhounds to have this condition.

Guest greytkidsmom

Plavix binds irreversibly to platelets which is why it prevents blood clots due to platelet aggregation. You will probably want to check with your vet if any invasive procedure is ever planned. For surgical procedures in humans, we ask that patients stop their plavix for 5-7 days prior to surgery to prevent bleeding complications. Amicar is only minimally helpful for post op bleeding due to plavix.