Need Greyhound Veterinarian Information

Guest Bodie

Guest Bodie

We will be traveling to Martha's Vineyard in June and, for the first time, we are taking the hounds with us. We found a greyt house to rent with a fenced-in yard. God forbid we should need a veteriarian while we are there, but we all know it is best to be prepared. We lost our beautiful Rainy last September to a fall on the kitchen floor and subsequent broken leg. Yes, it was osteo. Nobody knows better than me how you may need a vet. when you least expect it. So, do are there any greyhound owners from MV, or who spend their summers in MV, or travel frequently to MV who can recommend a greyhound savvy vet on the island?

Thanks, Rhonda

Guinness, Diva, and Angels Bodie & Rainy

P.S. Yes, I know about the "skunk problem" on the Vineyard. We will be taking skunk remedy ingredients with us - further insurnace against the worst.

Guest SueG201

we are going to Marthas Vineyard next week, th anks for the heads up ab out the skunks, we cant bring our dogs though WAAAHHH

Guest Bodie

We will be traveling to Martha's Vineyard in June and, for the first time, we are taking the hounds with us. We found a greyt house to rent with a fenced-in yard. God forbid we should need a veterinarian while we are there, but we all know it is best to be prepared. We lost our beautiful Rainy last September to a fall on the kitchen floor and subsequent broken leg. Yes, it was osteo. Nobody knows better than me how you may need a vet. when you least expect it. So, are there any greyhound owners from MV, or who spend their summers in MV, or travel frequently to MV who can recommend a greyhound savvy vet on the island?

Thanks, Rhonda

Guinness, Diva, and Angels Bodie & Rainy

P.S. Yes, I know about the "skunk problem" on the Vineyard. We will be taking skunk remedy ingredients with us - further insurance against the worst.

There are a LOT of Greyhounds in New England, and one of the finest veterinary hospitals in the country in Massachusetts.

I have yet to meet a vet here who hasn't treated at least a few Greyhounds.

Be prepared to check them for ticks every time they go out. That goes for yourself too. And my George has picked up fleas each of his past three trips to Nantucket, despite having Frontline Plus applied, so if you don't have one already, I suggest you get a flea comb and check them for those too.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

There's Angel Memorial in Boston and it has an ER but, it's about a 2 to 3 hour drive from Falmouth and that's not including the time for the ferry ride from the Vinyard. I have used Angel plenty of times for my greyhounds ...

What I need is a good on-island vet in case there is an emergency. Hopefully, I will never have to use their services.

Your choices are limited to who is there.

My point was -- you won't find ANY vet in this area who isn't familiar ENOUGH with Greyhounds to treat yours while you're on vacation if there is an issue. And on an island, you simply don't really have many choices. Just Google "Veterinarian, Martha's Vineyard" and have the number handy. There might be more than one, as the Vineyard is much bigger than Nantucket. On Nantucket there is exactly one place to take your dog--and it's an MSPCA-affiliated clinic (and VERY expensive).

Most ailments and emergencies that effect our hounds are actually common to all dogs--it's really only anesthesia that's a concern with a vet who might not have dealt with the protocols. Any vet can, for example, stitch up a cut or treat an upset tummy.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Bodie

Let me contact Dot & Tony's owner who used to live there. I know there is a vet that saved Tony's life when he sliced an artery on the beach and took care of several of her greys.

Thanks, Dianne, that's what I need - the name of a reputable vet who someone else has used.

Rhonda