Changes Due To Aging, Grief, Both, Or Other?

Guest aaspenwall

Guest aaspenwall

My 5-year-old greyhound Duffy, who was rambunctious and a chow-hound when I first adopted him two years, has been not nearly as interested in eating the last several months. Most days he'll eventually eat most of his food, but sometimes at best he only eats about half of what's been "normal" for him to eat and rather than scarfing it down he eats slowly, sometimes over a couple of hours. I'm sorry it's kind of long, but please hang in there with me as I explain the multiple factors I'm considering due to changes in our home the last couple of months.

At first I thought maybe it was because it was the end of winter and we hadn't been able to be as active (all last spring, summer, and fall we walked 30-40 minutes both morning and night most days) and he didn't need the food, but we're starting to be much more active and the behavior persists. Then I realized he did just turn 5 in February and maybe it's a normal part of going from young-doghood to middle age. (I've had three previous greys, but adopted them all when they were between 5 and 7 years old.) Last Friday we lost Canoodle, my 11.5-year-old boy, who had been suffering with cognitive dysfunction for several years. Canoodle was the first dog I had to take to the vet's office for euthanasia, versus him coming to the home, so the surviving dogs (both Duffy and the new 2-year-old I adopted two months ago) didn't get a chance to sniff his body and see that he was gone. After coming home from the vet's, I put the blanket on which Canoodle died on the living room floor and left it there over night. Both boys examined it thoroughly, but quickly ignored it and it didn't seem they even noticed Canoodle was gone. The next morning Duffy ate breakfast normally, but wasn't at all interested in food at dinnertime. A friend was visiting and said she thought he was grieving (as he lay on the floor ignoring us) and as soon as I said Canoodle's name, his tail started thumping ... breaking what was left of my heart into tiny pieces. In addition, because of Canoodle's physical weakness the last couple of years, I'd been feeding him by hand in the living room most days, and had started letting Duffy eat there too rather than putting his bowl on the feeding station in the kitchen. Since Canoodle's gone, I'm trying to get both dogs eating at the feeding station again. Sometimes Duffy will eat there, sometimes he'll only eat if I'm holding the bowl in the living room, and sometimes he ignores his food no matter what.

So, I'm writing to ask for input on whether the changes I'd been seeing are due to normal shifting into middle age, which is just now compounded by grief, or if I should be more concerned. If it's just time and love he needs to get through this, I can do that, but I don't want to ignore symptoms of perhaps a more serious nature.

Thanks!

Guest kydie

first,, I am sorry for the loss of your pup,, next dogs sense your grief, as they sense your happiness,nerverous, or fear. For me if I felt there was a big change in one of my pups eating or drinking habits,, I would feel a vet vist maybe in order,, just to make sure his health is O.K.,, I have members of my pack, that are 8 and 12 years old that eat just as they did when there were 2, 3 or 4 years old,, and yes I too feel when a dog is not active it can play a role on their wanting to eat or not to eat,, you could try to add som extra goodies and see if that perks up his appitite,, Good luck,, keep us posted :)

Edited by kydie

In my opinion, 5 is way too young to be acting like an old dog. Since he's been this way for quite some time, even before the loss of your Canoodle, I'd be inclined to have him checked by the vet first to make sure there isn't anything physically going on that might need attention. If he checked out physically then I'd think that his routine changed when you started feeding Canoodle in the living room and Duffy was probably aware that something wasn't right with Canoodle. Dogs can be really in tune to other dogs so his behavior changes may be to that. After all that, he probably is grieving the loss of Canoodle. If he's physically okay, give him some time. Now that you have a 2 year old in the house, you may see a change in his behavior and he may start to act like a 2 year old.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I agree with Judy. All those things can factor into appetite and eating. But since this has gone on for a while now - both before and after you lost Canoodle - I would start with a thorough check at the vet, including a thyroid panel. If that all checks out, I would see what ahppens over the next several weeks. Increase his exercise and attention. Play with him and your new guy. Go on long walks together, and maybe a car ride to McDonalds for a special treat.

If he seems normal to you, and yet is still not eating "normally," look at his condition. If he's holding his weight steady on reduced food intake, it could be that he just doesn't need that much anymore. My guys all tend to eat a bit less both as they grow older, and during the winter.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm sorry for your loss. I agree that a vet visit should be in order. as Duffy been tested for Tick Borne disease?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Amy,

I am very sorry for your loss of Canoodle, he sounded like a real gentlemen (I read your blog). I agree that perhaps a check-up is in order for Duffy just to make sure things are okay. He may be grieving as well because there has been changes in the household and he may have known months prior that Canoodle's time here, was not long. Pups sometimes know things that we just don't. I hope whatever it is, it's not serious and that your Duffy is back to his normal self.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest june

I am so sorry for your loss of Canoodle. It is hard on us and on our dogs when one goes to the bridge. Several have said they pick up on our grief and I agree with that. I also believe they can grieve as we do and that can be very hard. I recently sent a girl with osteo to the bridge and although she wasn't with us long I and all three of my remaining girls are still missing her. Have him checked by your vet to be on the safe side. And then just hug your boy and give him lots of love. It will help both of you.

june