Soft Poo After Antibiotics

Guest lovemyblackgrey

Guest lovemyblackgrey

hi all,

my nearly 5 year old unfortunately came out second best in a bit of a scuffle with another dog which left her with two bite wounds. I took her to the vet who put her on antibiotics. She is fine now (wounds are healing well) but she has had soft poo ever since we started on the antibiotics ( approx 3.5 weeks now). We have not changed her routine at all, she is still getting the same food, same routine etc. Her poo used to be solid and only turned soft after eating bones/pigs ears etc. her shots are all up to date.

Does anyone know if this could be a reaction to the antibiotics?

thanks all - love this website :colgate

Yep. Common. Usually fades with time. Here, I've found that adding half a metamucil wafer to each feeding can help firm up "antibiotic mooshies."

Glad your pupper is healing well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Antibiotics kill necessary gut flora along with whatever other critters you're trying to kill. Eventually her system will replenish those lost bacteria but you should help it along with probiotics. Very important for dogs just like it is for people. Here is an article on probiotics (they're selling some but the info is good regardless).

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Swifthounds

Antibiotics kill necessary gut flora along with whatever other critters you're trying to kill. Eventually her system will replenish those lost bacteria but you should help it along with probiotics.

:nod except that I wouldn't bother with addidnt the probiotics. The body will make what it needs given time. You can give a bit of fiber and/or slippery elm bark for comfort/firmness.

Just don't let it go on for months, like I did, before checking to see if one of the normal gut bacteria has been allowed to over-populate the gut. If it does, it becomes an infection, a small-intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). If the poop gets yellow and smells really awful, that's a clue.

But, yes, try to get all those bacteria back in balance before anything worse happens! Sorry your girl went through all this.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Whenever one of my guys is put on an antibiotic, I start them immediately on a strong dose of Acidophollis (sp) AM and PM with their food. Since I started doing that, I have never had a problem with diarrhea while on an antibiotic. When I stop the antibiotic, I still give them the Acidophollis for a couple more days. ;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.