Uti Antibiotics

Guest schergr

Guest schergr

There are many threads on this board about UTI (Urinary Tract Infections), but I'm unable to find anything specific on the types of antibiotics that are typically prescribed. Macey Grey, our 6.5 year old beautiful girl seems to have a terrible UTI.

Can anyone opine on this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As to types, we've given Amoxicillin combined with Clavamox and potassium (all in one pill) and Orbax, which is in the same class as Baytril. The latter class is more expensive than the former but is the big gun, so to speak. But you really need to have a urine culture and sensitivity to determine which germ and then which med(s) will kill it! Secondly, if it has been going on for a while, you may need to give longer than the standard 10-day course of antibiotic. And you may need to give it for 4 to 6 weeks without interruption. Whenever you stop, wait at least 4-5 days, then run another culture (and sensitivity is the culture is positive for bacteria). Sometimes we have to give one antibiotic for a while and then change to another.

Is that what you needed to know? I'm one of the ones who has been through this lately, so you have my very best wishes for successful treatment!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

If you have a dr to write you a script for augmentiin, you can get your insurance to cover it and it's the same as clavamox.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If you have a dr to write you a script for augmentiin, you can get your insurance to cover it and it's the same as clavamox.

Yea- no- illegal for a vet to script out to a human. They can, however script it out in your pets name but, you can't use your health insurance.

The best way to see which ab to use is to culture the urine first. The culture will determine what the bacteria is or is not sensitive to.

Some vets will start your pup on a broad spectrum ab while waiting for the culture results (like clavamox or cipro).

Yea- no- illegal for a vet to script out to a human. They can, however script it out in your pets name but, you can't use your health insurance.

The best way to see which ab to use is to culture the urine first. The culture will determine what the bacteria is or is not sensitive to.

Some vets will start your pup on a broad spectrum ab while waiting for the culture results (like clavamox or cipro).

And when he does write it, he'll write "canine" on it...at least mine would. I also don't know a doctor who would write a prescription for my dog no matter how nicely I asked.

Now, as to the OP's question. There are many different drugs they give for UTIs. Sounds like you haven't actually been to the vet, and I would urge you to go. Bring a urine sample. It's not expensive. They'll check the pee and prescribe one of the "first line" drugs, and probably also suggest a culture. That way if the first drug doesn't work, they'll switch to one specific to the actual infection your dog has.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I meant a human doc

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project