Anyone Notice A Change In Kirkland Chicken Formule?

Guest LadyChester

This Nature's Domain food came up here last year (I think when it first came out, judging from my internet trolling). There were concerns about it's having a lot of potato, but ... the protein and carb ratios sound about right. I'd give it a try. I'll have to look for it next time.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BillF

I've been using the chicken formula for over a year, and my 2 greys just started turning up their nose at it also. Adding things help, but they still leave some in the bowl. I thought a had a bad bag and bought another. Their eating improved a little. I noticed they carry the salmon here. I'll try a bag.

I'm in Birmingham AL.

Thanks

Bill

Interesting.......Trolley eats the Kirkland Lamb & Rice and has been less then excited about eating lately. I've had to add veggies. She's usually a real chow hound too. I'm interested to see if Greg gets a response from CostCo.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest BillF

I grabbed a bag of the salmon last night at Costco and mixed it with the Kirkland Chicken for dinner. They ate a little, but weren't excited about it. Same thing this morning. When I'm filling the bowls they run to the kitchen like they are eager to eat. After I put the bowls down they sniff and lick a little at the food, then walk away. I've added canned food and cheese. They come back for that. They eat a little of the dry, but leave some in the bowl.

I'm going to try 100% salmon tonight. I know you are supposed to change slowly to a new food. But if they aren't eating the old food then what do you do?

Thanks

Bill

Guest mirthlesstroll

Bill - I just swap mine pretty quickly. They won't die, and usually any poop problems resolve in a few days. Also, you find out fast if the food is going to help or not.

Bill - I just swap mine pretty quickly. They won't die, and usually any poop problems resolve in a few days. Also, you find out fast if the food is going to help or not.

This can work, but you might want to do it when you're going to be home for a few days, just in case... :lol

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest BillF

I tired the salmon last night with a few sardines on top to jump start the process - they tore into it and licked the bowls clean. This morning I tried just the dry food with a little water and yogurt. They ate about half of it and left the rest.

I'm starting to wonder if they are just demanding add-ins and the dry is too boring.

Neither one is acting sick. They are eager to start eating, and jump at treats.

By the way - I talked to another grey owner that I know fed Kirkland Chicken, but she had switched to the low-fat food (I think it's the senior blend). She says they haven't had any problems with that food.

Guest BillF

Over the last couple of days I've been trying different mixes of the Kirklands chicken & rice, Kirklands canned chicken & rice, and the Salmon. Bottom line - If there is any of the dry chicken and rice mixed in they would rather go hungry.

They've done great on that food for over a year. Getting that food was the main reason I joined Costco. My guys will eat most anything. Whatever changed in the Kirklands is bad enough to drive them away though.

Thanks for all the help,

Bill

Not all the Costcos out here have the Nature's Domain..But they do have a grain-free dog food called Pelican Bay, I believe that is the name. I have gotten that for my girls and they love it. so if you want to try grain-free but you can't find Nature's Domain, you may want to give that one a try. It is around $28 for 30 lbs.

Pelican Bay Salmon Meal with Garden Vegetables

Dry Dog Food

Estimated Dry Matter Nutrient Content

Protein = 27% | Fat = 17% | Carbs = 49%

Ingredients: Salmon meal (preserved with mixed tocopherols), peas, potato, salmon, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), flaxseed, natural flavor, sweet potato, dicalcium phosphate, canola oil, potassium chloride, salt, tomato pomace, cranberries, blueberries, choline chloride, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Aspergillus niger, Bacillus subtillis), taurine, chicory extract, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), Yucca schidigera extract, calcium iodate, rosemary extract

Fiber (estimated dry matter content) = 4.4%

We are pleased to note that, unlike many fish meals, this particular item appears1 to be ethoxyquin-free.

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Greg- did you get any response to your email to CostCo? I've thought of switching Trolley to the grain free, but was concerned about causing tummy issues. She has done perfect on the Lamb & Rice...wht ruin a good thing, right? I'm assumng there shoud be less pooh with the grain free, but will I cause runny pooh?? :blink:

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Greg- did you get any response to your email to CostCo? I've thought of switching Trolley to the grain free, but was concerned about causing tummy issues. She has done perfect on the Lamb & Rice...wht ruin a good thing, right? I'm assumng there shoud be less pooh with the grain free, but will I cause runny pooh?? :blink:

Never heard back from them..Odd, because they usually answer back pretty quickly.

When I switched from the Kirkland to the grain-free there was no upset tummy and a day or two of softer poop, but then it firmed up and the output was less..woohoo!! With 4 hounds in the house poop patrol was becominhjg a 2nd full time job. :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tcrull

I noticed and slight color difference on the last bag of Kirkland chicken formula I purchased (and a higher price). My guys have been off their feed, but they're also having significant issues with allergies right now - me, too! They're also having some other issues, so I can't be certain it is the food.

Anyone else noticed a lighter color? I'm thinking I may have gotten a bad bag, but I bought several at once, so perhaps they're all the same batch. Just curious. I know they'll accept them back - they're always great with returns, but I'm wondering if there may have been a change in the formulation. I hope not!!! We've done well on this food for years!

I stopped using the Kirkland brand due to the Grains and my Dogs were getting picky with it plus very soft stools. Switched to the red bag of Natures Domain, no grains, Dogs love it, no more stool problems. I went on line to check it out and it came back with very high marks plus priced right!

Guest BillF

My dogs started turning their nose up at the Kirkland food a few weeks ago. I've changed, but since then my boy Tip has been off his food. He just won't eat anything that has kibble mixed in. He will eat some types of canned - usually a "chunks of meat with gravy" type. But mixing in kibble turns him off of it. Yesterday I made some boiled ground beef and brown rice. He wouldn't eat that mixed in with kibble, but would eat it alone.

I've tried different kibbles (Iams, purina one, natures domain) and he doesn't like them. This is a guy that had been eating the Kirklands chicken and rice for over a year. He had an upset stomach around the time the Kirklands changed. I'm starting to think he's decided that kibble makes him sick.

This morning I tried some Iams (the green bag) that they haven't had before. I mixed in some canned proplan chicken and rice. He ran into the kitchen when I put the food down, stuck his nose in the bowl and then walked off. I'd like to keep some kibble in the mix just for cost and convenience.

He's still active and acts like he wants to eat. I don't see any other difference in his behavior. He's just not acting like a sick dog. A few weeks ago I boarded them at the vet. This had just started and I talked to the vet about it. He said he has several patients that just don't eat as much in the summer. They weren't there for an appointment, but he gave them a quick look and said their temp, heart, lungs all sounded normal. I'm planning on taking him in saturday and see what the next step is. I'll ask about doing blood work.

My girl Olive was off the Kirklands too, but is eating other things ok. Leaving out food for Tip won't work because Olive will just eat it too. Getting her to eat isn't a problem. :) I've been cutting her food back a little because she's gaining weight. Tip has lost a couple of pounds. He normally weighs around 85 pounds.

I'm trying to walk a line between finding them something interesting to eat without teaching them to be picky eaters. I'm not sure that's working.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks

Bill