Another Cut Paw Pad

Guest BlingDogs

Guest BlingDogs

Dory cut her foot again :'( We were walking through a ravine and she stopped to lick her foot, and I wondered what was going on. I looked at it and there was blood trickling down from the bottom inside part of her paw- The cup shaped part between all her toes. We hobbled home and I soaked it in epsom salt, dabbed polysporin on it and covered it with a cotton baby sock to prevent her licking it. It seemed taken care of. However, she doesn't want to move at all, and when she does she limps completely on 3 legs. I carried her outside but she can't even squat to pee, she just fell into a sphinx and rolled around in the grass. What else can I do about it? Does it sound serious enough to see the vet?

Thank you!

If you're absolutely sure that there's nothing still driven up into the tissue where it's hard to see, do you know your vet well enough to call and get something for the pain? Here I have an e-vet that will listen to a situation over the phone and tell me whether to bring a dog in or what to do at home instead, but that seems to be an unusual practice. But if they've seen the dog previously for something else, they might do it because at least they have some history in a file/computer to refer to. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you except that it doesn't sound trivial and I hope it gets all better fast!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

keep on soaking it,(3xs a day) if there is something in there the soaking will bring it out. if she is still not using it at all on monday, speak w/ your vet- he might want to give it an exam to see if something is in there. no need to call an e-vet if the bleeding is under control. generally a cut pad takes around 2 weeks to heal. emily used to apply for workmen's comp when ever she had a cut, tear or scrape. she would go into hibernation until it healed. felix just cut the tip of a pad off running. he limped around the house but bolted out in the yard- they are all different. generally the girls seem more sensible when it comes to wounds and taking time off.

if you gently squeeze the pad and she yelps or gives you stink eye(some are very stoic) then there might be a foreign object, but epsom's salts are the BEST! french gray sea salt also does a good job promoting healing.

That's a very difficult place to stitch. An e-vet tried to do that for my Thane. Ultimately our regular vet had to use glue. We never could figure out how he cut it and fortunately nothing was embedded.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Shermanator

Did she tear the webbing? Sherman nicked his webbing in the foot, and within 15 minutes it tore completely. (OW). Our super saavy greyhound vet said the best thing is to remove it. It was surgery, which sucked, but Sherman bounced back quickly. He had no problems, no harm, no foul!

Edited by Shermanator

Guest BlingDogs

Thanks for all the help everyone!

The cut is pretty small in diameter but it's deep. It's right in the middle of the bottom of her foot... If that makes any sense? The fleshy part between her toes. Anyways, I booted it and took her for a short walk (She was very anxious after not being walked yesterday). She was fine and it didn't open up and bleed, so I think I'll just take it easy and let it heal on its own.

Guest Houndstown

So glad Dory is getting better. The hardest part is not letting them make it worse. Pre's foot was getting better and then he went digging in the backyard, the stinker! Hope Dory has more self-control :lol