My Greyhound Will Eat Anything

Guest josiecat65

Guest josiecat65

My two female rescued greyhounds(not ex-racers) are very prey oriented and skilled at catching anything that moves outside (ex. birds, snakes). Nala does most of the killing and Nina does most of the eating. It is quite disconcerting (especially since I'm a vegan) to realize that she has just finished off an entire bird or the rotting carcass of a squirrel. She also has an appetite for black walnuts and rotting fruit under the many fruit trees we have.

Nina has only had one major bout of diarrhea/vomiting in the 16 months that I've had them. My vet has suggested deworming them every 6 months just in case.

Has anyone had similar experiences with their dogs? Is there anything I should be worried about under the circumstances?

I don't really have experience with this since Bernie has zero prey drive. He even sees squirrels and rabbits out and about, and his response is, "Huh?" LOL.

How big is the area that you hounds have access?

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest PawPrintsLife

I agree whole-heartedly with SilversMom about the muzzles. Not only will it stop them from killing and eating most things, it is also a good protection for the two of them. Even dogs that are good friends with each other can get overly excited and nip.

I would be concerned about what they're eating. There is a lot of potential bad stuff in animals they might kill and eat (or find dead).

Rebecca Forrest

Logan (7 yr old male brindle)

Zelda (4 yr old female parti black)

Jordie (3 yr old male brindle)

Izzy (3 yr old female mix)

Lucy (17 yr old female tabby cat--don't tell the dogs that she isn't a greyhound!)

Guest josiecat65

I don't really have experience with this since Bernie has zero prey drive. He even sees squirrels and rabbits out and about, and his response is, "Huh?" LOL.

How big is the area that you hounds have access?

I own two vacant lots across the street from my house that are fenced in and landscaped as well as the fenced in backyard. It's a great place for them to run and get out their excess energy. It can't be very big, maybe 1/4 acre or less considering the lots are small there. There is a lot of wildlife considering I live within view of the downtown skyline.

Edited by josiecat65

I have never heard of a muzzle with a stool cup. What is it and where would I find one?

The stool guard is a separate plastic piece that attaches to standard turn out muzzles with two tie wraps (also called cable ties). Your group may have them for sale. It goes on the inside of the larger greyhound muzzle and on the outside of the smaller size greyhound muzzle. If your group doesn't sell them you can do an internet search for: greyhound muzzle stool guard

They usually cost $5 to $7 dollars. If you don't have a muzzle you will need to buy one.

You can also make a temporary "make shift" stool guard by putting duct tape over the end of your muzzle. Leave some small holes so water can get in and out.

I don't like using a stool guard when I am not around. I worry about someone vomiting while wearing it and then suffocating. But then I am the worlds worst (or best) worrier.

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest FullMetalFrank

I strongly suspect that my little Miss Jewels ate my diamond earrings... I guess she came by her name honestly! Today I caught her about to snarf up a pair of sterling silver hoops. :blink:

Guest mowreyAZ

I would also highly recommend a muzzle. This helped my tuxedo girl greatly when she went through a period of trying to eat everything in the off- leash park we walk to every morning. And by everything I mean tasting deer droppings, poop from other dogs, discarded walnuts from squirrels, you name it.

Guest BrianRke

The muzzle is a great idea. I understand the chasing and the killing (mine do that too) but the eating is something mine have never done. I read that you were a vegan. Are you by chance feeding your dogs a vegeterian diet? If so, this may be part of the problem.

Guest BrianRke

The muzzle is a great idea. I understand the chasing and the killing (mine do that too) but the eating is something mine have never done. I read that you were a vegan. Are you by chance feeding your dogs a vegeterian diet? If so, this may be part of the problem.

May I suggest muzzles with stool cups. That way they can't kill or eat stuff that they shouldn't.

Greyhounds can still kill with muzzles on. The muzzle with a stool cup will keep from them eating stuff. You can get them from GEM and the money goes back to the greyhounds. Great people and super fast shipping!!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest kydie

yep! some do some don't,,, my two hunters will kill and eat anything,,(unless they are birding) since mine are on Heartgurad plus,, year round.. I don't worry I know it can be upsetting to see a kill,,, but dogs is dogs is dogs, sometime it is hard to remember all breeds were ment to do a job

Ditto on the muzzles with poop cups.

Black walnuts are toxic to many species of animals, IIRC. You probably don't want them eating the nuts from those... to say nothing of the less savory specimens.

Riley went out unmuzzled in the yard today and of course he found a rotting frog. Mmmm, tasty.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest happygrey

Mine eat black walnuts too! Had no idea they could be toxic -- they definitely don't bother my guys. Bentley, in particular, has eaten many of them with no ill effects.

My guys are catchers (Bentley) and carrion eaters (Bents and Tatam). It is pretty gross -- but what they eat/catch is mostly rabbit. I watch them for worms, check them with the vet yearly, and deworm monthly. So far we haven't had problems.

They also have a big taste for fruit! In the summer, it's a race between us and the hounds on gathering the blackberries we have growing in the yard. :blink: They love them and pull them right off the bushes themselves. It's funny to watch them. Does wonders for their poops, too. :lol

Edited by happygrey