Hope It Is Ok To Ask For Med Advice For Non Gh

My sister just called. Her boyfriend was ready to call 911 yesterday for his mom because she is so distraught causing her to have seizures.

Yesterday morning her pug/english bulldog mix was sleeping in the closet, which he never does. He normally sleeps in the bed with her. He was having problems walking, dragging his rear legs. He is now lame. He doesn't want to eat and normally he is a chow hound. He was taken to the vet and he suspects some kind of swelling in the spine near tail bone. The boyfriend believes the vet gave possibly a cortizone shot, but he is not sure. The vet mentioned something about this being common in pugs and only about 2 out of 10 recover. He suggested that an MRI be done.

I got this information from my sister who was relaying information that she was getting from her boyfriend. Anyone familiar with these symptoms in a pug or english bull dog. Any recommendations??

eta: he is 4 - 5 years old

Thanks for any information.

Annette

Edited by Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest KennelMom

is the vet referring to hemivertibrae? It's the only thing I can think of related to pugs, specifically (and other "screwtail" breeds.

I always thought that showed up earlier than 4-5 years. If you google you'll find more info, I'm sure.

Sending good thoughts :getwell

Herbie was put to sleep yesterday.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I am very sorry to read of Herbie's passing.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I don't know if they ever got a diagnosis or not. Sometimes it is just hard to communicate with some people <_<

I missed this. I'm so sorry little Herbie had to leave.

Godspeed, sweetie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.