Ideas For Long Lasting Chews?

Both of my hounds have IBS. The vet says to only feed them TOTW Pacific Stream and NOTHING else. That is fine and dandy, but how can I make this kibble into chews like the Bully Sticks? I cannot add any ingredients at all..so if anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying to let them be dogs because they love to chew, but an also thinking about their teeth. Thanks so much, Nan

What about antlers? They are natural and unlikely to disrupt a stomach.

How long ago were your dogs diagnosed with IBS? I think it's easiest for your vet to say "nothing else" right now ... but I am absolutely positive there are chews, treats and food out there aside from a commercial kibble that will not bother your dogs. Its just a matter of experimentation.

One of my hounds was diagnosed last week with IBD and she thinks the other one has it too because he has the same symptons as the first. They really do not like antlers and I am afraid to soak them in bullion cubes because beef and chicken seem to set off their stomachs. The absolutely love Bully Sticks, but again they get very sick when they eat one. I have even called customer support at TOTW and asked them to make a hard chew from the origional ingredents..she said she would pass the information on???

Guest DarkHorse

Could you blend the kibble up with some water, form into sticks and then dehydrate? I don't know how long lasting it would be or if it would work as a chew, but if you know how to dehydrate with an oven, it might be worth a test. Adding egg would likely help it stick together better, but if you really can't add anything then that's obviously out.

I'd second the Sam's Yams sweet potato chews as something to possibly try -- Beth really likes them, and they don't bother her sensitive stomach either. We started with the tiny ones (Bichon Fries) but will move up to the Veggie Rawhide size. The fact that they have no fat is important for us since Beth's recent close brush with pancreatitis.

There's sweet potato in TOTW so you wouldn't be feeding your hounds an ingredient they're not getting as is.

FWIW Beth gets very loose poo from the big hard Snooks dried sweet potatoes which I've also seen recommended here. I think they're just too much/too hard for her to digest well.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest IHeartDogs

I agree with 7ct5 on the antler.

They may or may not work for your hounds, but the only chew I can give my weimaraner with IBD are medium sized sliced antler chews from elkusa.com

Some dogs like them, some will turn their noses up at them.

When my girl chews them, it actually firms up her poop. She is on hills prescription Z/D food.

Like I stated, it might or might not agree with their systems.

Good luck, I know the feeling of not being able to spoil your dog with goodies...

Oh, if you do end up ordering it and it does not work for them, I can buy the rest from you, just PM me.

Edited by IHeartDogs

I've given my dogs Icelandic fish chews. They've all really liked them. They don't last as long as a Bully but still are something to chew on for a bit: http://www.amazon.com/Icelandic-Fish-Skin-Chews-3-5/dp/B000NVD8IC

I also recently bought my dogs skate tail chews. They didn't love them as much but if you're looking for something from fish protein it might be an option: http://gooberpetdirect.com/ProductListings/index.php?group_id=10059

Mix kibble with water, turn it into semi mush, stuff Kong, freeze Kong.

That's all I've got. lol. Simple, quick, cheap... can you tell I'm a student?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!