I/d Kibble Question

Hi All,

Dustin started on his I/D diet yesterday. My question is if a reduced amount of poop goes with this. He had very little poop this weekend initially, because he didn't eat Friday and only had a little chicken and rice on Saturday until his stomach settled. Now he has had three meals on the i/d and has had only one poop (no blood, a little soft). Is it normal for a reduced amount?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest zaylea

I think the point of i/d is that it's easy to digest. As long as he IS pooping, I wouldn't be worried about it. I'm not sure what his condition is, but I'd be more concerned about MORE poop because that'd mean he wasn't digesting a lot of it. Major eats i/d and her stools from that are softer than when she was on normal dog food (Blue Buffalo Large Breed Chicken and Rice).

Guest SoulsMom

Soul (80lbs) eats four cups of I/D a day and he poops two to three times a day and his stools are firm. Glad to hear there is no more blood :)

Edited by SoulsMom

I think the point of i/d is that it's easy to digest. As long as he IS pooping, I wouldn't be worried about it. I'm not sure what his condition is, but I'd be more concerned about MORE poop because that'd mean he wasn't digesting a lot of it. Major eats i/d and her stools from that are softer than when she was on normal dog food (Blue Buffalo Large Breed Chicken and Rice).

He has been recently diagnosed with IBD afyer his foth battle with bloody diarreah. I did notice that what he had come out was a bitsoft- but I don't know if that is because his system is still sensitive.

Soul (80lbs) eats four cups of I/D a day and he poops two to three times a day and his stools are firm. Glad to hear there is no more blood :)

Thanks, Amber. Dustin is only 65 pounds, but I am always trying to get weight on him!! Right now I have him on 3.5 cups until he gets used to it!

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest zaylea

Thanks, Amber. Dustin is only 65 pounds, but I am always trying to get weight on him!! Right now I have him on 3.5 cups until he gets used to it!

I'm not sure what Dustin's target weight is, but Major is supposed to be 65 lbs, and she gained 10 lbs in about two months when I had her eating 4 cups of i/d per day. I've recently knocked her down to 3.5 cups to lose weight.

He's generally a fined boned boy. I think 68-70 is ideal for him.

Yes, it absolutely produces a reduced amount of poop! It's a highly digestible, low-residue food and I've been really struck by how much less poop it produces compared to the TOTW Beth was on before -- it certainly has changed my thoughts about what kind of stuff goes through dogs how. That said, Dustin will probably go a bit more once his digestion is back on track -- he doesn't have much in the pipeline yet. Beth still goes 3-4 times a day (her usual; we leash walk usually so she's sort of programmed to go) but the volume is less. Not super firm in texture, though quite well-formed and pick-up-able -- I think being slightly softer is an expected feature of the food as well.

Beth has seemed to need a bit more I/D to get/keep her weight up vs. the TOTW, though I'm not sure exactly because she's finally back to her perfect maintenance weight (58 pounds) after having lost weight as I was switching her over and not feeding quite enough, so I was wanting her to gain. (There are also confounding caloric factors, like the fact that she's getting nonfat yogurt rather than peanut butter in her Kong now, since hers is a pancreatic issue.) Right now she gets a bit more than 3 cups of dry plus 2/3 can of canned I/D per day. It's quite possible she might start to gain on that, especially when it gets hot out and she gets less active.

FWIW, I was worried Beth was going to lose her nice coat on the I/D but I swear it's even softer now! She's also been running around like a nutjob at the park, so she certainly has plenty of energy.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad