Flea Prevention

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

Well Leia has lived here for over 5 years so flea prevention is not new. She was always on Frontline plus until 2 summers ago when it just stopped working. I changed her to Advantage but also bought a Preventic (not sure if this is spelled right) collar to put on her IF ticks shown up but they didn't and it worked fine for the fleas (not too many ticks here in Los Angeles,,although we did have a fight with them 2 years ago) and I never used the collar.

Its getting close to treatment time again but I am not going to use Advantage because it bothers her for a day or so when it is applied. She runs around after about 2 hours post applicaiton and tries to rub it off so to me that tells me there is a reaction she doesn't like. I am considering going back to Frontline plus but what I am looking for is names of brand name products NOT to give her. She had to go to the vet today (possible melanoma in her ear) and the vet told me to try Comfortis(?) and he rattled off a few others but I suspect the people here know more on what to use then what not to use.

So no hints about sprays (I know about Adams and all that), just what pills/chewy/liquid things should I NOT put on her that the vet will try to sell me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FordRacingRon

So no hints about sprays (I know about Adams and all that), just what pills/chewy/liquid things should I NOT put on her that the vet will try to sell me.

My only chime in is that I would avoid Advantix, but that is just me.

Is Advantix the one that is flea and tick and heartworm,,the one you can't use if you have cats but also the one that some greys have had bad reactions too? That is not on my list either to use. I was leaning toward the Comfortis but wasn't sure if it was safe.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I think Comfortis is the best invention for dogs since Ivermectin. I cannot imagine the hell my life would be without it. No problems here... I just don't give the two on the same day (Ivermectin and Comfortis).

Guest FordRacingRon

I think Comfortis is the best invention for dogs since Ivermectin. I cannot imagine the hell my life would be without it. No problems here... I just don't give the two on the same day (Ivermectin and Comfortis).

Ivermectin is Heartguard,,right? Does Comfortis do ticks?

I've always used Revolution, it's a flea/heartworm/intestinal worm one. BUT it doesn't do ticks. Never a problem before as we don't have them BUT since I'm bringing Summer south into the US a few times this summer, I've decided to try K9 Advantix along with Heartgard, as Advantix doesn't do heartworm.

As to a reaction, I've read to put human-grade Vitamin E on the spot where the topical is applied and that will help. Also, to apply the topical in numerous places, not just the one spot, and thus the Vitamin E in those same numerous places.

I've never had a dog react to a topical before (they were all non-greys) and Summer didn't react at all to the Revolution last year, so here's hoping there's no reaction to the Advantix.

And yes, Advantix is the one you aren't supposed to use if you have a cat.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest Tequila

We've used Zodiac flea & tick powders and sprays for 20+ years. Never had a flea, ever. Had one tick last summer.

Edited by Tequila

I used Comfortis last year when all of a sudden my girls had fleas. They had been treated by Frontline for forever, but last year it just couldn't keep the fleas away. The Comfortis works great; 30 minutes and the fleas start to die--literally had one fall off the dog into my hand! It is expensive and I am concerned about the reported side effects, but so far my girls have been fine with it.

june

Guest cgl0909

We use Comfortis and love it (2 long haired and one grey). It works great for our guys, and it does start working after 30 minutes. It is meant to be used monthly, but I find it really works for about a month and a half to two. It only does fleas, though. We don't live near a wooded area or have many trees in the yard, so we haven't have a tick problem.

We started using the Comfortis because Frontline quit working. The down side is it is more expensive (we pay 15 a dose), but I am willing to pay to keep fleas off my dogs and out of my house.

I'm beginning to conclude that they ALL have risks and some people have trouble with one and some people have trouble with another. I've read documents which say 'X' is fine and others which say 'X' is bad. Perhaps it all just comes down to trial and error?

Lisa B.

If Advantage bothers her, maybe you could use just a half of tube. I have been using advantage for years and have never had a problem. I buy the one for 55 lbs and over and split one tube between to dogs, one 65 lbs and one 75 lbs. I have never seen a flea on them and I do not apply evey month, maybe every two months.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest GreyFan09

I am also looking for a replacement for Frontline Plus, which failed miserably last year. Need something for both fleas and ticks. I have also been using Heartguard too, but I understand that Revolution, if I go to that has heartworm preventative in it?

One product that our Greyhound group says NOT to use is BioSpot. A couple years ago they tried it on several foster dogs and they immediately became agitated and aggressive after having it put on. Strange side effect, but the next few hours was spent bathing the dogs trying to get it off.

I am also looking for a replacement for Frontline Plus, which failed miserably last year. Need something for both fleas and ticks. I have also been using Heartguard too, but I understand that Revolution, if I go to that has heartworm preventative in it?

One product that our Greyhound group says NOT to use is BioSpot. A couple years ago they tried it on several foster dogs and they immediately became agitated and aggressive after having it put on. Strange side effect, but the next few hours was spent bathing the dogs trying to get it off.

Revolution only does one kind of tick and doesn't even do that one very well. Hence the reason I'm looking at Advantix. If Revolution did ticks, I would certainly stay with it. I love Revolution.

Lisa B.

Guest PiagetsMom

I gave the pups Comfortis for the first time last month for the same reason that most have made a switch - the Frontline they'd always been on was not providing enough protection. I was told by my vet that Frontline now has a guarantee that if it doesn't work, they will come out and de-flea your home, but honestly I'd rather not get to that point! I'd really put off making that change because of some of the warnings about Comfortis, but there seems to be many here who do use it with no problem.

The only issue I've had is that neither of the pups will chew the tablets - not even Mirage, who will usually eat anything. I've had to crush them and mix them with a little peanut butter to get them to take them.

Guest BrianRke

We've used Zodiac flea & tick powders and sprays for 20+ years. Never had a flea, ever. Had one tick last summer.

Dr. Karen Michalski, who wrote "The Veterinarians Guide to the Medical Care of the Retired Greyhound" Says NEVER to use ZODIAC products on your greyhound.

If you want to see this guide, go to www.rescuedgreyhounds.com/ownerservices/vet_guide.pdf

Guest FordRacingRon

If Advantage bothers her, maybe you could use just a half of tube. I have been using advantage for years and have never had a problem. I buy the one for 55 lbs and over and split one tube between to dogs, one 65 lbs and one 75 lbs. I have never seen a flea on them and I do not apply evey month, maybe every two months.

You know,,I think I will go this route and see how Leia reacts. Advantage does work but as I said it seems to irritate her skin and she tries to rub it off, but this stops after a day. Maybe a half does would work. I need to buy a tick collr though,,and what is the name of that pills that kills fleas that are on the dog but only for the day?

Guest Tequila

Brian, thanks for the link. Interesting info....I was surprised it did not mention corns or Pannus (both of which my girl suffers from!)

Wow, amazing that they had to list Raid -- you KNOW that means someone must have used it! Yikes. Geez. Can you imagine using Raid on your dog???!!!

As for Zodiac products, we've never had a problem. But I will take the suggestion into considersation. It just seems that the products like Frontline, etc, only kill the eggs that are already IN the skin == not the fleas that might jump onto their coat while they are playing in the grass. The topical spray really seems to do the job. I am especially careful around the eyes and mouth, of course.

Guest mcsheltie

You know,,I think I will go this route and see how Leia reacts. Advantage does work but as I said it seems to irritate her skin and she tries to rub it off, but this stops after a day. Maybe a half does would work. I need to buy a tick collr though,,and what is the name of that pills that kills fleas that are on the dog but only for the day?

I would not use a product twice that caused any kind of reaction. You have been able to use Frontline, so that tells you that it is not a blanket reaction to drop-on products.

I would not use Vectra, Bio Spot (there are studies rating it as a carcinogen) or Zodiac. There are going to be reactions to every product. But these three have too many for my comfort.

Capstar is the product you asked about. And you will be hard pressed to find any adverse reactions to this product. I haven't found any. Name another drug that can say that!

I have been considering using Comfortis, but I can't get past the fact that the ALT (liver enzyme) in all of the dogs went up significantly. I just don't think I want to use something on a regular basis that affects the liver. I am afraid it may bite us in the butt a few years down the road. What bothers me the most is they state this happens, but have done no follow up work to see if it drops back down after the product has worn off. They did no follow up blood work at all. To me that says they have not done good enough QA on this product. If you Google Comfortis you can find a 100 page pdf of all the trials they conducted. The results make me nervous. In every trial multiple dogs have vomited. They state it is caused by the drug and they are doing nothing to find out the reason why.

Frontline still works here if I get it from the vet and it has the widest safety margin of all of these products. It hasn't always worked when I have bought it online. Revolution works well no matter where I have bought it. With the added benefit that you don't have to give an additional drug for heartworms. For now this would be my choice with a Preventix collar when going out in tick country.

Guest PiagetsMom

I had a recent conversation with my vet about dosage for the Comfortis - Piaget falls just over the 60 - 100 lb weight guideline and I asked if I should give her a full dosage or perhaps cut it some. Their advice and opinion is that it's better to dose on the high end rather than on the low end to make sure you get adequate protection. That being said, I've seen several here who only give 1/2 doses with success so maybe it just depends on how high the risk is for fleas where you are :dunno

Don't know if it's what you're asking about, but I know Capstar is a quick flea killer.....I don't think it's used for regular flea control though.

I have been considering using Comfortis, but I can't get past the fact that the ALT (liver enzyme) in all of the dogs went up significantly. .... What bothers me the most is they state this happens, but have done no follow up work to see if it drops back down after the product has worn off. They did no follow up blood work at all.

In the safety section of the Comfortis Product Label, the paragraph that talks about ALT refers to a study of 6 beagles that were given Comfortis at 16.7 times the max monthly dose daily for 10 days. The ALT elevations were "mild" and "by day 24, ALT values had returned to near baseline levels". Are you referring to a different study?

If you Google Comfortis you can find a 100 page pdf of all the trials they conducted.

I'm having trouble finding this. Can you provide a link? Thanks!

I had a recent conversation with my vet about dosage for the Comfortis - Piaget falls just over the 60 - 100 lb weight guideline and I asked if I should give her a full dosage or perhaps cut it some.

I usually just dose based on the dog's weight. However, if there have been any issues with vomiting or other side effects and the dog is close to the low end of the weight range, I've found that going down to the next lower dose can help and seems to work just as well. Vomiting does seem to be the most common side effect, but in practice, I've found this to be pretty uncommon. All 4 of my dogs have taken it with no problems. Have several clients and a couple staff members who've used it with their greys too, and the only one who had any negative reaction was one who vomited and was lethargic for a day or so after the dose. She weighed about 61-62 lbs, and we went down to the 40-60 lb dose, and she had no more problems.

I have had a couple dogs (not greys) who just can't seem to tolerate Comfortis - vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy for several days after the dose. Against my recommendations, one owner tried it 2-3 more times, with the same reaction each time. Obviously, we no longer use Comfortis for those dogs, but overall, we've had very few problems, dogs with flea allergies do great on it, and the clients love it.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

I have been considering using Comfortis, but I can't get past the fact that the ALT (liver enzyme) in all of the dogs went up significantly. .... What bothers me the most is they state this happens, but have done no follow up work to see if it drops back down after the product has worn off. They did no follow up blood work at all.

In the safety section of the Comfortis Product Label, the paragraph that talks about ALT refers to a study of 6 beagles that were given Comfortis at 16.7 times the max monthly dose daily for 10 days. The ALT elevations were "mild" and "by day 24, ALT values had returned to near baseline levels". Are you referring to a different study?

If you Google Comfortis you can find a 100 page pdf of all the trials they conducted.

I'm having trouble finding this. Can you provide a link? Thanks!

I had a recent conversation with my vet about dosage for the Comfortis - Piaget falls just over the 60 - 100 lb weight guideline and I asked if I should give her a full dosage or perhaps cut it some.

I usually just dose based on the dog's weight. However, if there have been any issues with vomiting or other side effects and the dog is close to the low end of the weight range, I've found that going down to the next lower dose can help and seems to work just as well. Vomiting does seem to be the most common side effect, but in practice, I've found this to be pretty uncommon. All 4 of my dogs have taken it with no problems. Have several clients and a couple staff members who've used it with their greys too, and the only one who had any negative reaction was one who vomited and was lethargic for a day or so after the dose. She weighed about 61-62 lbs, and we went down to the 40-60 lb dose, and she had no more problems.

I have had a couple dogs (not greys) who just can't seem to tolerate Comfortis - vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy for several days after the dose. Against my recommendations, one owner tried it 2-3 more times, with the same reaction each time. Obviously, we no longer use Comfortis for those dogs, but overall, we've had very few problems, dogs with flea allergies do great on it, and the clients love it.

It was a different study. The gist was at 30 mg/kg on day 42 the ALT levels were still elevated and they acknowledged it was in response to Spinosad. No further study was done. Even if the only study was the one on the label, I do not want to give a drug that may be affecting their liver for half of each month. Reading it may cause seizures in dogs prone to them makes me even more cautious. I have no idea if all the young dogs coming in and out of here are prone to seizures. These are foster or client dogs, so I don't want to be the one to find out. I would also feel better if they were conducting studies to find out what is causing the vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy. But there is no indication that they are.

Every vet I have talked to has a number of patients with the same reactions you have talked about. But when I ask them to compare (percentage-wise) to the number of reactions to Frontline or Advantage they have all said the older products have hardly any in comparison.

I am not sure how I got to the clinical trial pdf. I lost it when I closed out all the tabs when the phone rang. I don't have time to look for it again we have a foster that got loose last night. But I will look for it later. Hopefully Tom is found tomorrow!

I know this works very well, but personally I am not comfortable with it. I may just be a worry-wart, but I have never liked using new products. Everyone jumps on the bandwagon and then later on regrets the side affects. Pro-Heart injectable is a case in point. Everyone thought that was wonderful in the beginning. This product raises too many red flags for me. A few more years and/or better safety trials will put me more at ease with it.