Cash's Residual Ataxia

Background:

Cash had an extreme bad reaction to some vaccines in early December. She basically seized and died in my car and the e-vet staff revived her. Her brain was deprived of oxygen for a certain length of time - not long, but she really did leave for a few minutes.

She recovered amazingly well and quickly and was back home with us less than two full days later. She suffered very little neurological or physical damage. The only thing I see is that she has some residual ataxia - she falls and looses her balance very easily when walking over uneven and soft surfaces. She also has a little knuckling on all four feet. This does not bother her at all and she is very normal in every other way.

I'm only asking to see if anyone knows if any sort of therapy or anything that might help her get rid of this last residual effect. The vets are all amazed that she's doing as well as she is considering what happened, and don't really have anything else to offer, though I haven't taken her back to *see* the neurologist and have only spoken with her casually when at the clinic for other things.

If anyone will know, they'll be here on GT! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree with the aquatic therapy. Another suggestion that may seem a little off the wall, but are you familiar with Rally in obedience? You and Cash can do the exercises at your own pace, no pressure, LOTS of variety both physical and mental. Wondering if a little stimulation to improve muscle memory would help, not to mention building her confidence (and yours!) along with the one-on-one time with her. I was very lucky to be in a small class of 5 or 6 dogs, all with pretty calm demeanors who allowed one of mine to really shine and gain much needed self confidence. Of course, the treats were a huge motivator to a food hound!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Can you get some boots for Cash? At least, borrow some for a bit? When most dogs wear boots, they start lifting their feet higher as they walk, and this might help clear up some of the knuckling under. (And if she's wearing a boot, the boot will protect her foot from scrapes if she knuckles-under on asphalt.)

Also, try putting obstacles on the ground--something like a two-by-four on its side (so it's 4" high) and leash-walk Cash through the obstacles so she'll have to step over them.

If you haven't seen it, check the Never Say Never blog about rehab for the greyhound named Katie. Katie suffered an FCE and had some residual problems with one foot. Katie got hydrotherapy, and Jen used boots on Katie to get Katie to start lifting her bad foot higher when she walked. In the list of links down the left column of the blog, check out Katie Neurological and Katie Rehab.

Katie was an agility champion (the first-ever MACH greyhound) with an incredible work ethic. She hated being inactive. Jen flattened down her agility equipment so that the dog walk was only a couple of inches off the ground--things like that--so Katie could stay active without risk of harming herself.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thanks! I have thought of aqua therapy as Cash loves the water. A new business just opened up not too far from us that does theraputic swimming.

The boots are a great suggestion, along with the cavalletti idea (what they call those things on the ground when you use them with horses). I do think she needs some help re-patterning, so that would be good. She's way too anxious/spooky to do rally in a class but I might get some of agility equipment for the backyard. She'd love it then.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly