Video: Stuck Sneeze? Seizure? Dry Heave?

Guest Valero

Guest Valero

The link below is some video from my iPhone (pardon the shaky hand) that I took just 5 minutes ago---this is something Valero has done before, albeit infrequently. Has anyone seen this before? I never caught the rapid-succession of what I call "stuck sneezes", but I did get some of it, starting at 0:30 mostly. Thoughts? Opinions?

http://img146.imageshack.us/i/c5l.mp4/

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

It's often referred to as a reverse sneeze.

Nothing to be worried about at all. Sometimes it's caused by a sinus drip or some other tickle in the nose area or who knows what :)

Very common in just about all breed of dogs.

Yup, it's called reverse sneezing. Quite harmless although it can look rather alarming, especially when they have more severe 'attacks'. It can often be allergy related, and if he's doing it a lot, you can try benedryl for a few days and see if that calms it down. Typical benedryl dose for a greyhound is 2 of the 25 mg tabs twice a day.

Here's a video from NC State with an IG giving a demo:

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Sometimes if you rub their throats, it helps it go away. My boy does it a lot in the spring when there's a lot of pollen or about, or if he eats dry food or biscuits. The first time I saw him do it, I thought he was having an asthma attack :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest HoundyGirl

Sometimes if you rub their throats, it helps it go away. My boy does it a lot in the spring when there's a lot of pollen or about, or if he eats dry food or biscuits. The first time I saw him do it, I thought he was having an asthma attack :lol

My first dog got really bad attacks of this. The first time it happened I rushed her to the emergency clinic because I thought it was an asthma attack, too.

Guest Stripeyfan

Reverse sneeze! Kelly does this, usually when I'm trying to clean his teeth. rolleyes.gif Rubbing and gently patting his chest seems to stop it.

You can give a dose of Rescue Remedy too. Plus I've had good success with giving them something that requires a bit of chewing - a larger treat chew. An ice cube will also disrupt the behavior.

DH freaks out when it happens and we've been to the e-vet too! :rolleyes:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest zombrie

I didn't even have to open up the thread to know what it was :) When visitors to the kennel hear a grey do that, they think they are dying :P