Laryngeal Paralysis

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am pretty sure Roo has LP....last year the Vet said her throat didnt look really normal and this year she has been developing all the symptoms. Change in voice, noisey inhalations, exercise intolerance, prolonged panting, restlessness, regurgitation, lots of gacking, etc...just this last week....its gotten significantly worse....we see the Vet next week.

I dont think surgery is going to be an option for us...for many reasons. ...but I need to know more.

I would like to hear from you if your dog has LP and what you did....surgery or not....detailed info would be appreciated. If you want to PM me, please do.

I feel like I will be faced with this decision quite soon the way things are going.

Thanks you guys....I am just sick about this.

Edited by WarmheartedPups

My second grey, Barko, suffered from a partially paralyzed layrnex. It was a long time ago and Barko has long since gone to the bridge, so unfortunally I don't remember the particulars, but we did opt for surgery. Barko was probably 9 (we adopted him when he was 8). His surgery was done at the University of Wisconsin. We were very pleased with the outcome. Barko recovered quickly and was a different dog afterward.....much more loving and sociable. Barko died from cancer at almost 13 -- nothing to do with the layrnex.

I wish you the best with Roo. Decisions are sometimes hard to make. Hugs to both of you. :grouphug

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

I've had two girls with LP that started showing symptoms around age 13 yrs. We did not opt for surgery in either case. Just being aware of what aggrevates it...hot, humid weather, excerise, stress, etc. helped us "control" their environment as much as possible.

One girl passed at age 15 yrs, she had other medical issues other than the LP. The second girl passed just before her 14th birthday, also from other medical issues other than just the LP.

Hugs to you and your pupper...it's quite disturbing to watch them struggle. :grouphug

Guest greytfulhounds

My Hunter has LP. When he was first diagnosed I tried to treat it with a medication called Doxepin. My vet had read that there had been some success with this drug & LP dogs. It help him somewhat but it never made the symptoms fully go away. I was petrified of the surgery because Hunter is 12 years old. His breathing kept getting worse & he had a major anxiety attack during a vet visit......we had to sedate him & ice him to bring his body temperature back down. I finally got over my fear of the surgery......it was either the surgery or I was looking at putting him down. Hunter had the surgery on November 23, 2010.....the first 2 weeks were a little rough but now he is doing wonderful! This has been the best thing I could have ever done for him & I just wish I had done it sooner so that he did not have to struggle for as long as he did. Here is a link to the thread I had started when trying to decide on the surgery http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/263641-lp/

Good luck with your decision & sending a :bighug to your sweet girl.

Guest KennelMom

After flying down the interstate with DH driving at 90mph to get to the e-vet, trying to comfort my dog who was asphyxiating to death before my eyes I would pretty damn hard pressed not to do tie back surgery. As in, the vet would have to tell me the dog would die on the table. Just being "not ideal surgery candidate" would not be enough to dissuade me from the surgery. (Champ survived the attack, thank god...but that horror of that night is forever frozen in my memory)

When Champ had this "episode" he was just chillin' around the house - it wasn't even warm, he wasn't breathing hard. His throat just slammed shut.

Just my experience and opinion. Good luck making your decision! It's a tough one, for sure.

Onyx had the LP tieback surgery at age 11. She passed away last month at the ripe old age of 15.5 due to the ice we had. Not from her LP.

All I really had to do was watch was she ate. Nothing crumbly that she could accidentally aspirate (causing pneumonia....which by the way, will happen with or without the tieback). But at her age, she wasn't active enough to worry about overheating.

My sister's lab also had LP and she chose not to do surgery. I watched her dog suffer so much at the end, that I vowed I would not go that route.

Good luck with your decision.

With summer coming on you will probably see more symptoms. Shilo had the surgery last June at age 12. He was going through chemo at the time. We had to do something since waiting in the hospital really set him off and he was only half way through his chemo. He did fine and contiues to do well-no complications at all. They had trouble getting the sutures to stay. "Old man tissues!" But once they took they have stayed put. I heard it is common for them to pull out after a while. So far, so good nine months on.