Kelly Has A Lump :-(

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

A couple of days ago, I noticed Kelly had a small (pea-sized) lump on the back of his neck, above his shoulder blades. It's not in the top layer of skin but just underneath – you can see it under his fur when he holds his head in a certain position. It feels fairly solid but I can get my fingers around it and move it a bit, and it doesn't seem to be bothering him at-all. It's not hot or itchy.

It's in the area where the vet gives him his shots, so I was wondering if it could be a reaction or a scar (like people get with TB vaccinations). He also had to have a Tramadol shot in the same area more recently. But his shots were in December and the Tramadol shot a month ago, and I have only just noticed this lump. Can anyone give me any advice about this? Do we need to rush him to the vet, or just keep an eye on it for a few more days? As you can imagine, after my poor boy's health sagas over the last year, I am pretty worried about this! sad.gif

ETA - he is not microchipped, and is about to turn 5.

Edited by Stripeyfan

I would keep an eye on it. If it starts getting bigger, red, tender, etc. -- or if you go to the vet for something else -- then I'd get it looked at. It could be a vaccine bump, but at the size you describe it's more likely to be a little cyst (ingrown hair, sebaceous cyst ....). Those usually go away on their own in time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Over the years, Max has had a few such lumps appear. Some he's had now for years that we've just left; the vet checks them when we get our annual check up but almost all we have just left alone. We've only removed one, and that was because after a few years of behaving itself, one lump began sprouting new lumps, and looking rather wart-like. It was tested and was benign.

So, as Batmom says, I'd just watch it. If it changes dramatically then would be worth a visit or if it starts to bother Kelly more. They get little bumps and growths, just like we do... :blush

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest fringepup

When Willie first came home we discovered something similar sounding on his hind end above his tail. When we took him to the vet for his initial check up a few days after and we asked her to check it. It was like a cyst/pimple with (and excuse me for the gross description) what she called cheesey stuff inside. She basically ruptured it and got some of the stuff out and for a couple of months I did it at home as it would fill up. We teased her for being a pimple-popper. It has since gone away. I have noticed a few others here and there and while I don't bug them because it will get red and can be irritating I do check and sometimes try to remove the gross stuff. But I can feel his just like you describe, underneath the skin and usually pea sized or smaller so far. I hope that is all it is because our vet said it is nothing to worry about. But to be honest, it freakes me out when I find them too. I hope this helps a little bit!

Guest ravenchilde

Miley had a lump on her rib cage two months ago, it was about the size of a dime, didn't seem to be bothering her at all, but I was worried and had it checked out. It felt like a lump that you could move around underneath the skin. My vet aspirated the lump and looked at the cells under a microscope. She told me that it was a histiocytoma and that it would go away on it's own in a few weeks to a few months. I'm happy to report that the lump is now gone! It sort of scabbed up a little and then flaked off over the course of a couple of days. Miley has a tiny bald patch where the lump used to be, but you can hardly tell. So, it's probably the same thing that the others are posted about (ingrown hair, sebaceous cyst). But keep an eye out to see if it gets bigger, redder, angrier, oozing, itchy. Best wishes to Kelly!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histiocytoma_%28dog%29

Guest Stripeyfan

Thank you for the replies! The lump isn't on the top layer of skin - it's in the layer underneath, but I can still get my fingers around it and move it. And it doesn't seem to be growing or changing so... vaccination bump? Or a bump from the tramadol shot a month ago? Anyhow we'll keep an eye on it and (as long as nothing changes) mention it to the vet at our next visit.

Thanks again! Kelly sends you all big wags. smile.gif

It could be a sebaceous cyst. Arrow has several. The vet drained one because it was getting rather large and it's been fine since.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest tinams8

One of my dogs got a similar bump from a rabies shot. It scared me half to death. It took a few weeks to show up, or for me to notice. Also, she has had several lumps between her shoulder blades that were sebaceous cysts. They were completely under the skin like you are describing.