Should I Worry About This?

Guest BassoonMo

Guest BassoonMo

Picture169.jpg

Easy has what looks to be a rash where his front leg meets his body. It doesn't seem to hurt him but he has been licking at it. Should I worry about this or put anything on it? We're new greyhound owners, so I don't want to mess up! :-)

Thanks,

Monique

It's good that you have a photo. You can take another photo in 24 hours and compare them.

My Jacey had a slightly worse rash on her backside. It lasted more than a week, and the vet prescribed Gentocin spray. The spray worked wonders in just a few days.

But Jacey wasn't licking her rash, so it's possible that Easy's really is just a scratch that's annoying him.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GordonInTo

Hi BassoonMo, what is the latest on this rash or scratch? My guy has had a rash for awhile and was on meds but it never cleared up

As a new houndie owner, you might not be aware that their skin is very fragile. That looks like he probably brushed up against something like a limb on a small tree or just a bush. Doesn't look like a rash to me.

Just keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't improve, you might take the dog to the vet.

My boy gets all sorts of mysterious red marks and such on him--they usually disappear in a day or two.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck