Fosters Vet Records

His vaccination certificate seems very weird to me in two ways --

#1 is it says his DHLPP and rabies are only good for 6 months and he needs them again August 7th. I know for a fact that is totally wrong.

Just wondering about his rabies vac saying manufacturer unknown. I have never seen that and it makes me uneasy. I thought the certificate had to include the manufacturer....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Usually it does include manufacturer/brand code and a serial number. Without the number, it's not a valid certificate. Maybe they left it off?

If he has no history of prior Distemper combo a vet will normally suggest two vaccines several weeks apart (3-4) and then a booster a year later. I don't know of anything medically that would hint at 6 months. Maybe it was a computer error?

Were there any local vaccination rules where the pup was done? if not, it may just be the new thing that the vet uses so people will bring dogs in for their "bi-annual" check up that many practices are now touting. I don't know if the industry thinks that folks aren't noticing when something small is amiss and therefore they think every 6 months will be better than an annual wellness exam, or whether vet visits have dropped off and this is how they'll get business from those with extra funds. A few vets in my area do it, and a few of them are starting to push bi-annual bloodwork on healthy dogs 7 and up.

Guest mcsheltie

The certificate should have the vet info on it. Call them.

Option two: If he came off a track contact the trainer. Often they have a sheet from the vet that lists all the dogs done that day, rather than individual certificates and that will have the vaccine info on it.

The rabies certificate I got with George was from the track--clearly printed on a cheap ink jet printer, and I was rather concerned that he'd been vaccinated at all. There was also no tag; required by state law in Massachusetts. It did, however, show his name, tattoos, and the vaccine type, so my vet assumed it had actually been done.

She redid all the other vaccines.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

One possibility is that the vets issuing the paperwork you have saw "official" paperwork from the kennel indicating that the dog had shots last August. They could have recorded the expiration date but not the vaccine manufacturer. I don't think SEGA here revaccinates dogs if there's documentation that the shots were just done within the previous few months, although I don't know how SEGA's paperwork on the dog would read.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

He came from a humane society. They said he had been there or in foster care for 3 years. He was evidently and ower surrender (maybe not the first time) last month.

He came with a current year blue rosette rabies tag so maybe it is no big deal.

There is no manufacturer, lot number or expiration on the rabies which is what I find odd, as well as the update on DHLPP and rabies being in 6 months. .

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Can you call the phone number on the tag, read them the number, and see what their records show? Although I doubt they have better info other than that the owner surrendered the dog and provided limited shots info. And they probably issued the tag based on that.

(My guys get 3-year rabies shots, but Georgia doesn't allow three-year tags. My vet said to drop by and pick up a new tag each year, so they wear tags that don't actually represent when they got their shots.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)