Prozac

One of my greys is terribly afraid of thunderstorms. The vet wants me to start him on 20mg of Prozac two times a day. She says it has to build up in his body and that is why I need to start it in February. Does anyone have any experience with this drug either good or bad? Thanks so much.

It seems to me to be a little bit of a high dose for starting. We started John E, for his fears, on 10 mgs and increased to 20, once a day over a period of time. There should also be training for finding a safe place, other noise distraction (white noise, or actual recorded thunder at lower volume), and positive reinforcement/reward. Just offering the prozac may not solve your problem.

Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Energy11

I probably wouldn't go with Prozac, myself. That is more for behavioral problems, like OCD and Separation Anxiety, and yes, that dosage is kind of high. The dosage is usually one mg/kg of body weight. A 72 pound dog is 32.7 kg, so, probably 30 mgs/daily.

Our Cari is VERY thunderphobic, and we give her Xanax, when we know a storm is coming, and it works fine. The natural remedies do NOT work for her, including Ultra Calm and Rescue Remedy :-(

You might want to try the Xanax first, and if that doesn't work, maybe go with the Prozac. Not that is isn't used for thunderphobia, but I haven't heard of that being the first line. Amitriptylline is also prescribed for thunderphobia in dogs. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2085&aid=2545

Good Luck!

I prefer Xanax as my "first line" drug for severe storm phobias. Fewer potential side effects than a long-term medication like Prozac. Meds like Xanax or Valium can be used just in specific situations and only last about 4-6 hours on average. For extreme cases, you may need to keep the dog on Prozac long term, as well as use Xanax during storms, but I always start with the Xanax alone as that works fine for most. Alternatives to consider include products like Harmonease, NutriCalm, or Anxitane. However, I find these to be less reliable than Xanax, and may be better suited for mild cases.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg