Pee Sample - Best Time To Collect It For Evening Vet Visit?

Guest Stripeyfan

Guest Stripeyfan

I have to collect a pee sample tomorrow to take with us when we go to the vet with Kelly, who's been having some pee issues (I posted about them here). However we couldn't get an appt, until the evening, so what would be the best time to collect the sample - first thing or just before we go? I have a jam jar sterilised and at the ready!

TIA for any advice. smile.gif

I've always been told as close to when you're going the better, but I think it might depend on what testing is being done.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest greysonly

I was told to get the pee to them in a 2 hour window of collecting it. If that is not an option then I was told it will have to be refrigerated. I hope that helps :)

I always try to get first catch - if the appointment isn't in the morning, I take the pee sample in right after it's collected, then take the dog down later for the appointment. It's a pain, but you get the best specific gravity results that way, plus often the results are back by the time of the appointment, which can be helpful.

Guest mcsheltie

I always try to get first catch - if the appointment isn't in the morning, I take the pee sample in right after it's collected, then take the dog down later for the appointment. It's a pain, but you get the best specific gravity results that way, plus often the results are back by the time of the appointment, which can be helpful.

This is what I would do.

When we were ruling out UTI/cystitis recently with Lucy, our vet told us to collect a sample from the first pee of the morning and to keep it in the fridge until the appointment. You could also try to time it so that he might be able to pee while there - that way they could take him out and get a fresh sample.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.