Dew Claw

Guest saltwaterron

Guest saltwaterron

anyone had experience with a torn dew claw? had 1st medical issue with riley yesterday and it was a torn dew claw. have no idea how it happened. how long does it take to heal?

Guest mirthlesstroll

melody ripped off a dewclaw recently. Hers healed in a little more than a week, but the claw itself took a couple of months to grow back. Just keep it clean, watch for signs of infection, and keep Riley from licking it as it heals. It might not grow back, but if it doesn't, one less nail to cut/Dremel!

Capri ripped hers off twice in the first year I had her. I swore if she did it a third time, I'd take her to the vet for complete removal. :rolleyes: They bleed profusely but heal okay on their own. I didn't take her to the vet either time, just kept it clean and vet-wrapped it. They also grew back, which is how she was able to do it the second time. I heals in a couple weeks, if it grows back, takes a few months.

It's funny that she stubs her toe on the coffee table and GSOD's like she's being killed, but rip off a dew claw, and she was quiet and normal, just going around the house bleeding. :unsure:lol

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest saltwaterron

riley's didn't come off. it just pointed in a 45 degree angle from her leg. dr cleaned it put antibiotics on it and wrapped her leg. back to the vet monday.

Guest dragontearz

After the fifth time, I cleaned it and vet wrapped it- either it had fallen off or did soon after on it's own..the first couple times were scary though, till I realized my hound is not too smooth on the walking front even with four legs.

Edited by dragontearz

A friend of mine with a small dog - non grey - recently had this happen - and it had broken at a funny angle and was bleeding. They removed what was hanging and then wrapped it with vet wrap. If it is still hanging there, and you think it might tear more - I would take a trip to the vet to avoid excessive bleeing....If it isbroken off completely already and is clean, a litte gauze and vet wrap does wonders. Good Luck.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.