De-Worming

Guest grammarules

Guest grammarules

When we got Shelby (a year ago) as a pup she had a horrible case of worms even though the breader said she had been de-wormed. We went to the Vet and got her some help. I was wondering if this was something that needs to be done on a yearly basis or even more often. Do I wait until she has symptons?? I worry because even though I try to keep her out of it she loves eating deer droppings.

I only deworm if I see tapes in the stool or if the fecal is positive at the annual checkup (which has never happened).

If you're really worried, you can take her in for a fecal. It's inexpensive to test.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest mcsheltie

I would do it. Actually I worm more often, but we have a lot of dogs coming in and out. In the course of a year you have no idea how many times your dog could come in contact with worms or ingest eggs. Fecals aren't totally reliable. And it is cheaper to just worm.

Guest CampWhippet

I would do it. Actually I worm more often, but we have a lot of dogs coming in and out. In the course of a year you have no idea how many times your dog could come in contact with worms or ingest eggs. Fecals aren't totally reliable. And it is cheaper to just worm.

:ding

The pills are about $2 each. Fecal? $25 I think.

My dogs get a yearly fecal and that's about it. We don't have a lot of dogs going through the house though and they're not exposed to other dogs that much. Mine have never had worms and have never had any symptoms suggesting worms.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Where do you get the pills?

The fenbendazole I found was $25. The fecal was $16.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Yeah, if you're looking for a broad spectrum wormer that will knock out tapes, hooks, whips and rounds, you have to use fenbendazole/pyrantal palmoate/prazyquantel (sp?) (Drontal Plus). When I was ordering it for my adoption group, I never found a price under about $25 per dose. Fortunately, we had a contact outside the country who could get us a generic form much cheaper, otherwise worming our incoming dogs would have made a HUGE dent in our budget.

For my boy, his monthly HWP prevents most parasites and he gets a yearly fecal. I haven't had to worm him since he was a foster.

ETA: my dog isn't around other dogs often and doesn't go to dog parks. I don't let him pause to sniff at or eat poo so his chances of catching worms from another dog are mitigated a bit. If you're in a situation where your dog is often around other dogs whose parasite-free status isn't known (i.e., foster dogs, dog parks, etc.), I'd worm on a regular basis :)

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest CampWhippet

I use Nemex for roundworms and hookworms and generic Droncit for tapeworms.

I see the Nemex(pyrantel pamoate) are $4.00 a tablet on that site, I get them for less though. And the praziquantel costs next to nothing when you get compounded capsule by the bottle full.

ETA: I get mine from my vet.

Edited by CampWhippet

I use Nemex for roundworms and hookworms and generic Droncit for tapeworms.

I see the Nemex(pyrantel pamoate) are $4.00 a tablet on that site, I get them for less though. And the praziquantel costs next to nothing when you get compounded capsule by the bottle full.

ETA: I get mine from my vet.

The Droncit is 150 per bottle? That would go 15 dogs 2 doses...not a bad price :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest grammarules

Can someone recommend a good over the counter de-wormer? Last time my 'frugal' Hubby bought some and it didn't work. Maybe because her case was so bad. We ended up getting Rx from the vet.

Guest mcsheltie

Can someone recommend a good over the counter de-wormer? Last time my 'frugal' Hubby bought some and it didn't work. Maybe because her case was so bad. We ended up getting Rx from the vet.

Link

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I worm yearly just becuase i also have fosters comming in and out of here so its better safe than sorry. I do not know of any good over the counter wormers that can be bought in alberta, i have a good realtionship with my vet and im able to get my wormer with no appt.