New Foster Has Issues

We're having some issues with a new foster, and I'd appreciate suggestions.

Miss Hottie bounced from a home that wanted a lovey, huggy, kissy hound. Thursday night, my DH tried to pick her up, and was snapped at. DH is fine, however we have learned that Miss Hottie has issues having her belly, feet, or backside touched. Apparently, her trainer said it took five hands to trim her nails.

I understand why she shapped at DH. She thought he was trying to restrain her. I'm looking for ideas on how to help her through her fear of being restrained, and having her feet/belly/hiney handled.

Thoughts? Suggestions? She's really a lovely girl, a petite cat-safe red brindle with touches of white. Hottie is affectionate, but on her terms. She will lay her head in my lap for loving and skritches.

You! Out of the gene pool!

How about having some little tiny treats and using those as a reward. I think I'd start on the floor, give a treat, rub her leg and see if she responds by snapping or is more interested in what's in your hand. If she doesn't snap, treat, praise. I'd repeat and repeat until you're sure she's not going to respond with a snap and move on to another body part. I'd praise the heck out of her when you get the appropriate response. I'd do this with a muzzle on to protect yourself from being snapped so the treats must fit through the muzzle.

Good luck! Please keep us updated on how she's doing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Our Grey was very much like that when we first got him. Tried to pick him up once and he freaked out, reared up and got me square under the chin. Boy, was I seeing stars. He didn't like the feeling of being cornered and refused to go into the small service porch area. Wasn't happy about having nails done either with clippers so I started using a Dremmel and have him lay on his side to do his nails.

I just warned DH not to push the dog or corner him. I would start just stroking him when I went past him or giving him an ear rub and continue on my way. I tried to make sure he never felt cornered or closed off in a room alone (some SA issues). We've had him for about 8 years now and those issues are pretty much passed although he still can look anxious if he feel cornered or is unsure of a situation. He has never bitten anyone but can and will leave a room quickly if he feels uneasy.

Time and patience.

Guest Shermanator

When we picked up Echo she tried to bite me, my DH & one of the volunteers. It took the director of the adoption group to massage her neck for 10 min, just to get he relaxed enough to get her muzzle on. We knew it was fear, since she peed everywhere! We adopted a very insecure, fearful little girl. We started slowly with her, working to hand feed her yummy treats to gain her trust. She quickly learned that we were the good guys. :) For seval months, Ihad her muzzle with me at all times, I learned her body language, so whnen she was tense, I'd slip it one for everyone's safety. We took a lot of trips to the pet store, bark park, etc, so I could acclimate her to the real world, and to help her gain confidence. I watched her intently, and always made sure no one would approach her- blockin random people wanting to pet her. I had a behaviorist help me a little, and the biggest thing that I learned, was that I had to have confidence in her. I was always waiting for her to bite, and she sensed my insecurity, which made her fearful.

I am happy to say 6 months later she's doing very well. She still gets fearful, but has learned how to handle it without biting. Its not over, she still has issues, but with lots of patience, she'll get even better. :)

Using treats to reward being handled is a good idea. However, with a hound who is so new to you and your home, simply giving her some time to learn to trust you will often result in a lot of improvement by itself. It's possible that once she trusts you and DH more, the handling may no longer be an issue.

I'm curious exactly what the trainer meant about needing five hands to trim her nails. If she was forcibly held down to do her nails, she may have a negative association with being restrained and having her feet touched. Treats work great for trimming nails too. Two of mine are difficult for nail trims, but using treats had made it a much easier process. For Willow, it's even become an enjoyable experience. A friend and I get on the ground with her, and she lays on her side (voluntarily) with her head in my friend's lap. My friend feeds her treats as I do her nails. During the process, Willow will often start chattering with a look of bliss on her face. We've noticed how her whole attitude looks like a goddess lounging and being fed grapes by slaves. :lol

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg