Vpi Pet Insurance

So a rep at VPI told me that after I submitted my invoice and claim form for Neyla's euthanasia they would reimburse me for that and also automatically cancel her policy and refund any fees I had paid past her date of death. So today I got the last few checks from them for her remaining claims, including the euthanasia and a letter staying that they were sorry for my loss, the policy had been canceled, etc. and that a refund had been issued in x amount from the bank where my payments were drafted. I looked at my checking account and hte amount they quoted has in fact been credited.

The thing is, the amount is ~3 times what I paid each month for her policy and she only passed away a little over a month ago so I'm not sure where the amount came from. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas why this could be?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm fairly certain VPI bills a month (or more) in advance. That means that if someone misses a payment (*cough*--but sometimes the credit card is maxed out), the dog is still covered while VPI tries the next month to get both months' payments.

Look at the dates they've drafted money from your checking account. How many drafts went through after she died? They have to return those plus any advance billing they had done.

When Oreo died, I remember that I was slow to notify VPI--it seemed like such a ridiculous thing to do when I'd much rather they had kept the money and just given me back my girl. In fact, the only thing that got me going with VPI was the need to get Jacey covered.

I just looked at old records: I was billed for Oreo on the 20th of the month. I submitted my claim sometime in late May, after she died March 30. So they owned me a refund for the unused two-thirds of what I'd paid on March 20, the full months for payments on April 20 and May 20--plus any advance payments. They paid me 3.37 times her monthly premium, so that sounds like the refund to me included a month's payment in advance.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm fairly certain VPI bills a month (or more) in advance. That means that if someone misses a payment (*cough*--but sometimes the credit card is maxed out), the dog is still covered while VPI tries the next month to get both months' payments.

Look at the dates they've drafted money from your checking account. How many drafts went through after she died? They have to return those plus any advance billing they had done.

When Oreo died, I remember that I was slow to notify VPI--it seemed like such a ridiculous thing to do when I'd much rather they had kept the money and just given me back my girl. In fact, the only thing that got me going with VPI was the need to get Jacey covered.

I just looked at old records: I was billed for Oreo on the 20th of the month. I submitted my claim sometime in late May, after she died March 30. So they owned me a refund for the unused two-thirds of what I'd paid on March 20, the full months for payments on April 20 and May 20--plus any advance payments. They paid me 3.37 times her monthly premium, so that sounds like the refund to me included a month's payment in advance.

Thank you! That would explain it I think. I didn't consider that December would be prorated and I totally forgot about the month in advance.

I paid in full for each year, so I got the year pro-rated. However, I do have to admit, while there's a lot I don't like anymore about them, they are very good when we lose our babies.

Yeah, definitely. I was pleasantly surprised when I called to find out that I could submit my cremation receipt to get the euthanasia benefit and that they would automatically back refund what I had overpaid when I did. The vet came to my home and I didn't even think to ask her for some sort of receipt so rather than having to call and get that, I was able to just send the one from the crematory. Seems small, but it was one less horrific task I had to deal with.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."